any success stories w/ HG?Its all i can afford

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Vamp-A-Billy Princess, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    i've seen lots of bad experiences posted. Saw a few good ones but I cant find them again. Please someone tell me itworked for them and problems that i should look out for.

2. RoostersCrow

RoostersCrow Chillin' With My Peeps

I think you mean wit LG (Little Giant). Yes... You can have good hatches with LG. Give lenty of time for initial adjutment. The small knob on their thermostat is vry sensitive. Keep it out of drafts in a room with stable temps.

Good luck!

3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Buy a Hovabator for the same money and they are a little less tempermental.

4. tberggren

tberggren Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2008
    Ithaca NY
    I found out a good way to get the humidity up is to put a large tray under the wire. It gives you more surface area. I also ran some tubing from my fish tank down through the vent so that I didn't have to open it to add water. I had a turner though so didn't have to open to turn.
    Also, cover the plastic viewing windows are they do not have much insulating ability.

Go with a forced air if you can.

5. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    what would i cover the windows with?

6. championny

championny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    My LG is not the world's greatest, but its working now as I have a little egg just swaying in his carton. My hatch rate is not going to be as good as I would like.,

I will let you know what's your answer. Buy a Hova 1588 Genesis from GQF mfg. It's worth the every penny.

7. tberggren

tberggren Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2008
    Ithaca NY
    Quote:Just a towel, just something to help with the insulation so you have more even temps.

8. championny

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    I didn't have a problem with humidity or huge temp changes as much. Mine was maintaining the right temp. I bought a digital thermometer/hygrometer which is your best bet. Those mercury ones are odd. Also, I am thinking of getting a turbo fan kit as mine is a still air, so i would recommend if you are going to get an LG, at least try to get the turbo fan.

Though, I have heard of some people adding their own CPU fan, so that could be worth a try if you can't spring for a turbo fan one. Me, I can build PC's and wire a house, but don't ask me to wire electronics from scratch. [​IMG]

9. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    Quote:yeah, i put 8 eggs in there and got 4.....is that good or bad? oh, and it also hatched my test egg, but at day 18, i put my test egg in the peice of poop yellow dome [​IMG] but it did hatch!

10. championny

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    A 50% hatch rate is not bad at all. I am looking at hoping for a 40%, but it could be higher. I won't know for a few days.

I hate those yellow things. They aren't an incubator but a piece of garbage. Whoever invented those should never invented was crazy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by