Any successful hatches with fluctuating temps and low humidity?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DangerChickenHouse, Jan 31, 2012.

1. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    My average humidity has been around 30. Mostly lower though.

My temps stay around 99 - 100 degrees. HOWEVER, they have been known to drop to 97 or rise to 104.

What are my chances? By the way, I'm doing this with a cardboard box and a lightbulb.

2. AreYouLoved

AreYouLoved Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2012
    Norman OKLAHOMA
    I bought this outside use temp/humidity monitor from WalMart for $13 with a long thin cord with the sensor at the end.

I have a preset to 100degrees Genesis 1588 HovaBator (older not newly revised model with digital display). It measures the temps right on the money. But the humidity stays around 30% and that was when the water trough in the bottom was half full and when it was completely full so I don't entirely trust it to measure the humidity correctly.

Any suggestions on a humidity monitor for my incubator would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

Samantha in OK

[​IMG]

3. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Hahaha. Cardboard box and a lightbulb. Keeping it classy. Thats what i use too actually! Well i "upgraded" to a styrofoam box and a lightbulb. You're chances are fine. No real alarms with your temps. Just make sure you keep it cooler rather than hotter. 104 is getting a little hot. Don't want to cook the embryo. You should be good though. I have 106 degree scares every once in a while.

4. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    We only set three eggs. One is a dud. We recently re-homed our rooster, so no more fertilized eggs. So, I hope this works!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by