Any suggestion on how best to reintroduce an isolated chicken back with the flock without fights?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dottie Ferrell, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Dottie Ferrell

Dottie Ferrell Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2016
    I've only had chickens a couple years so really appreciate all the good advice I read on this site. My problem: 4 chickens, allowed to free range a couple to few hours a day, nasty neighborhood cat attacked and caused deep scratch on head just below comb. I cleaned blood and gunk with normal saline, treated with neosporin for a few days, and looks good with only small intact scab now. I attempted to take Rosie (RI RED) who is also doing a hard moulting, back with her sisters and they attacked her like she was the devil.
    Is there a gentle easier way to get them back together? I appreciate any advice.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sometimes you can put the hen in a crate or cage where the others can see her for a day or two, without being able to attack her. Then let her out with them for supervised visits outside in the yard. If she has not been out of the flock for more than a few days, they should work it out fairly quickly with just a little pecking to remind her of her place. If she has any red spots or wounds, applying some BluKote spray can hide them.

3. Dottie Ferrell

Dottie Ferrell Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2016
    I really do appreciate your reply. That sounds reasonable. I wonder about using the BluKote (which I have never used and hope that our local co-op has) so close to the eye. The scratch is just above the eye and extends most of the way down the big comb. Rosie has a very large comb and she seems to be proud of it (???) Maybe I am putting feelings and guesses in my girls that aren't there but this girl seems to have always been the head of the peck order and since she has been caged, the others have taken advantage and elected a new president. Rosie, also does not have many feathers and only prickly starts of the new feather coat so I think she is vulnerable as well as confused about the isolation. Her sisters have already gotten their new coats so they are very proud and conceited.

I lost a Dominique last year from a dog attack and it really killed me. I would never be a good rancher of animals....I am so glad that Rosie seems to be healing but I don't want her sisters to attack and kill her. I will try her in cage close but not accessible and hope they will become friendly again.
    Thank you so much!!
    I had no idea chickens were so much fun...wish they weren't my preferred meat.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Oh yes, do not use BluKote near the eye. Use plain bacitracin or neosporin ointment on her wound. The BluKote is only necessary to color and diguise wounds a blue color to help prevent pecking. I would really try to get them back together soon, so they work it out, but watch to make sure it doesn't get too rough. Hopefully her feathers will grow in soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by