Any Suggestions? Day Old Chick With Leg Issue

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Faerytalefarm, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Faerytalefarm

Faerytalefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    This chick is not spraddle legged,I don't believe because its only one leg that's the issue. It holds its leg straight out mostly behind him. I tried the band aid method but that didn't work. I'm not sure this one is going to survive this. He seems fine other than being tiny and not as fuzzy as his hatch mates. I cant put him in the brooder with the other chicks for fear they will terrorize him. Any thoughts!

2. ga_goat

ga_goat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    I read 'other chicks' if it was here I would count this one as a "not hatched" and cut my losses before it cost me $ or worry It's cruel but not all that hatch are ment to make it ,

3. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    the 2 i assisted yesterday, both started off looking kinda spraddle legged when they came out of the eggs, and would sit with their legs stretched out forward. not from anything else... i wrapped each one in a wahscloth and set them in a short plastic cup (8 oz size, about 3" diameter). this kept them upright, the legs about where they needed to be, and also helped fluff them a bit. they left the cup on their own, and stilla bit wide stance, but they're walking more normal every time i look at them.
    [​IMG]

4. Faerytalefarm

Faerytalefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Thanks, this little one has just the one leg that is a major issue. I dont think this one will be kept. [​IMG]

5. crazyperson

crazyperson Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2008
    I had one that I assisted and it was heartbreaking. I didn't know what to do, because I couldn't just toss it. I did put it in with the other chicks, so it wouldn't get failure to thrive. They didn't pick on it. It took two days before the poor little thing could walk, but WALK IT DID! Both feet wouldn't work at all at first. Now, it's two weeks old and you can't tell it from the others. I will PM you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by