Any Suggestions for Bedtime?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ramsdale, May 19, 2010.

1. Ramsdale

Ramsdale Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2010
    West Michigan
    We have moved out little ones out into the coop! They love the coop but they love the outside more than anything else. Since they are still young we are keeping them in the run area. They do know that the ramp leads to the coop as I have watched every single one of them go all the way up and in some like to hang at the doorway. Right before dusk we are trying to get them all to bed, locked up safe and sound inside the coop for the night.
    We are trying the same voices and phrase "goodnight guys" putting them in. For a week now its been going in saying goodnight then catching all of them one by one and putting them in the coop. Is there any tricks to training them to go to bed on their own? At least to respond to going up the ramp and into the coop with that phrase? Or am I dreaming chicken dreams?

2. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    I have adult hens, some 10 week olds, and some 6 week olds, they all go in at dusk, just wait a little longer till it's almost dark and I bet you will find them inside, I think it's an instinct...

3. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    I don't think they will learn a voice command to go to roost in the coop.

You could try putting light in the coop on a timer so that the coop is lit evenings and as it gets dark, they should enter the coop and settle on the roosts. I have my light go off about a 1/2 hour after dark and by then they are all settled in for the night. Do continue to put them in one by one on the roost when dark.

You may also want to keep them in the closed up coop for a day or two so they learn that it is home.

Good luck!

4. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    sounds like you are on the right track. It may take them a few more days to put themselves to bed. Mine did not go on the roost for a while. Just keep putting them in the coop for a few more nights, they'll figure it out. Once my girls were a bit older I started bribing them in the coop with treats. I keep a mason jar with BOSS and they have learned quickly to come running when they hear me shake the jar and call them. That way I can get them in the coop at any time if needed. Not that they usually don't come running when they see me and follow me around hoping I have some goodies for them. Good luck

5. MrRushed

MrRushed Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Dudley
    I just bough 4 - 8 week old Plymouth Rocks, at first they couldn't figure it out so I just pushed them in and out through the door, they picked it up just fine.

When it gets dark all my girls go in the coop on thier own, one thing I noticed is that they don't like to be rushed to bed. I just go out when the sun goes down and close thier door.
    Haven't lost one yet.

Hope this helps.[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  6. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    My kids and I used t chase our 4 8 week olds around [​IMG] [​IMG] but then one night they just went in there by themselves. Felt so good to not have to run around trying to corner them. [​IMG]

7. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    what is BOSS????
    Quote:

8. MrRushed

MrRushed Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Dudley
    I did the same thing, then I smartend up. My little ones go in last being at the bottom of the pecking order.

9. vtchickenlady

vtchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2008
    My guess: black oil sunflower seeds

10. Ramsdale

Ramsdale Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2010
    West Michigan
    Maybe I am rushing bedtime for the girls... Its 9:30 now and still light out, we are trying to get them in at 7:30 which is "coyote time". We can hear them off in the far fields hooting and hollering so we are trying to get them to bed before they start venturing out. I'm pretty sure that they would run for the coop if one showed up (they do when a hawk flies over) but there isnt enough room in the doorway for me to jump in [​IMG]

I have Friday off from work so I will experiment tomorrow and let them be till this time and see what happens [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by