Any suggestions for coop bedding?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by shelbyw, Aug 28, 2016.

1. shelbyw

shelbyw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2015
    Monroe, Georgia
    Hello you guys! So today I was finishing mending to my chicken's coop and I was thinking about how to prepare for winter here in Georgia. It doesn't really get cold here to the point of where it is in the negatives but it does get down to the twenties or so. I was wondering if I could put hay down, but it wouldn't be a lot only a little bit. I would scatter it around and stuff. Also I have this metal pole in the coop that I can't really get rid of because it is holding up part of my chicken coop, and my little chickens use it, so I was wondering maybe if I covered that up with fabric or maybe some of the old feed bags if that would keep it from freezing. I could try to cut up some of the feed bag and possibly stitch it together if the fabric won't work. Any suggestions?

2. shelbyw

Jul 1, 2015
    Monroe, Georgia
    I dint even think about this until now, but do you guys think a foam cover would be good for the pole they perch on??? I am also going to get covers for my coop for the outside of it so the bedding and the chickens stay dry.

3. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    Just an idea... There was a petting zoo at our grandchildren's birthday party. One of the animals was a Cockatoo. Her perch was covered with a decorative material, looked like what a cast is wrapped/covered with. It made it somewhat waterproof and non-slip. I'm not sure where it can be purchased, maybe a medical supply store.

4. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    My first thought was the foam pipe insulation, rubatex, but they would probably peck at it and tear it up or eat it. The burlap idea would be more work but probably a better idea. I've used hay and it worked okay. I prefer pine shavings though. Fluffs up easy for them to snuggle in during the winter and easier to clean out than poopy hay.

5. shelbyw

Jul 1, 2015
    Monroe, Georgia
    Never thought of the pine shavings before, but it sounds like it works better than the hay idea:D For the pole they rest on, I think to keep them safe that burlap or cutting up a feed bag may work better so they won't be able to eat it. I don't know if fabric would keep the pole warm enough so their feet don't get cold. Thanks :)

6. shelbyw

Jul 1, 2015
    Monroe, Georgia
    Maybe I can try to search it and see what it is because that would be awesome if I can find out what it is :)

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    What bedding are you using now?

Clamp a piece of wood the metal roost pole.

Don't cover up ventilation trying to keep them 'warm'.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  8. shelbyw

Jul 1, 2015
    Monroe, Georgia
    I use hay as the bottom now, but I have only used it in the winter time. What would be the best way to keep the drafts out? I usually put them in the shed, but it is not empty this year like it was last year.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Post pics of your coop?

10. shelbyw

Jul 1, 2015
    Monroe, Georgia
    I can try to. It is not the best to say the least [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by