1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Any suggestions for cross breeding?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cejunes, Aug 6, 2010.

1. cejunes

cejunes Songster

Jul 14, 2010
    Post Falls, ID
    My girls and I want to experiment with some cross breeding this spring to see what we can come up with. We are looking for colorful and unique traits such as the top hat, frizzle, silkie, etc. Any suggestions for rooster and hen combinations. I'll be building a new coop this spring specifically for this purpose.

2. LadyinRed

LadyinRed Songster

Sep 22, 2009
    D'uccle, Silkie, Bantam Cochin!! One of my girls is a bantam Cochin x Silkie. Gorgeous little bird. Ours has a little top hat a small mulberry walnut comb and five toes. The best broody I have and the hen with the most personality by far. I'll see if I can find pictures of her and one of her chicks from a Silkie roo.

3. cejunes

cejunes Songster

Jul 14, 2010
    Post Falls, ID
    Quote:Pics would be great! Thanks

4. cejunes

cejunes Songster

Jul 14, 2010
    Post Falls, ID
    Anyone else with ideas? Looking for good color combinations, feather combinations, and egg color results. Please, Please, please... pics would be good too. [​IMG]

5. grendel

grendel Songster

Mar 12, 2010
    Walbridge ohio
    I am trying Orloff roo with americana hens(Giant fluffy heads)

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Silky rooster X EE, Ameraucana, Araucana, Polish and cochin hens. A variety of looks, colors, and resultant egg color. Silky crosses of any sort are interesting to me. Resultant pullets should also be good broodies.

7. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Songster

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    silkie x sebright

8. grendel

grendel Songster

Mar 12, 2010
    Walbridge ohio
    Also have silver spangled hamburg/Ancona.going for a walnut combed ancona.

9. V Comb

V Comb Songster

Silkie x Rumpless Araucana [​IMG]

10. cejunes

cejunes Songster

Jul 14, 2010
    Post Falls, ID
    Okay... so what's your opinion on the following crosses... and if anyone has one, if you could post a pic, it would be great.

Black copper Maran over EE (lt green egg currently)

Cuckoo Maran roo over splash cochin banty

silkie roo over splash cochin banty

I'm going to have to look up pics to see what an ancona, a sebright, orloff, and spangled hamburg look like, unless anyone wants to post pics. Man... I'm addicted. This is going to be fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: