Any suggestions for my wool hen project?

WILIFORD

Songster
6 Years
Sep 12, 2017
Southern San Joaquin Valley California
I just completed a wool hen build a few days ago. I currently have 14 chicks using this as their only heat source. With temperatures in the mid 40's at night, they are able to stay warm in the wool hen. However I have one problem. They won't go in it on their own. I have to go out every evening, when the sun starts going down, and temperature starts to drop, and I find them all huddled in one corner, I have to physically put them in it. Once I put them in it, they stay in it all night, and they are able to find their way out just fine when the sun comes up. I am very impressed with how it is working, if I can just get them to start using it on their own. They have been in it 3 days so far. If anyone has any experience with these, or suggestions that might help with this issue, I would appreciate any thoughts , or ideas.
This is a picture of the wool hen, in the brood box, they are actually all in it in this photo. It is large, its 40" by 16" and 11" tall, the brood box is 4 foot by 5 foot, and 16 inches deep.

Attachments

• wool hen and brood box.jpg
    wool hen and brood box.jpg
    803 KB · Views: 115
I just completed a wool hen build a few days ago. I currently have 14 chicks using this as their only heat source. With temperatures in the mid 40's at night, they are able to stay warm in the wool hen. However I have one problem. They won't go in it on their own. I have to go out every evening, when the sun starts going down, and temperature starts to drop, and I find them all huddled in one corner, I have to physically put them in it. Once I put them in it, they stay in it all night, and they are able to find their way out just fine when the sun comes up. I am very impressed with how it is working, if I can just get them to start using it on their own. They have been in it 3 days so far. If anyone has any experience with these, or suggestions that might help with this issue, I would appreciate any thoughts , or ideas.
This is a picture of the wool hen, in the brood box, they are actually all in it in this photo. It is large, its 40" by 16" and 11" tall, the brood box is 4 foot by 5 foot, and 16 inches deep.
They could asphyxiate in this box as there is no air supply but the little entrance.
And chickens are afraid to enter dark spaces as there might be something in the dark lying in wait to attack them.

They could asphyxiate in this box as there is no air supply but the little entrance.
And chickens are afraid to enter dark spaces as there might be something in the dark lying in wait to attack them.
That is a good point. I will add a few vent holes to it. I am also thinking of making the entrance larger now. I planned to make it larger as they got bigger, but maybe the bigger opening now, may make it less intimidating for them. I appreciate your input.

That is a good point. I will add a few vent holes to it. I am also thinking of making the entrance larger now. I planned to make it larger as they got bigger, but maybe the bigger opening now, may make it less intimidating for them. I appreciate your input.
Vent holes are good and I would even add another entrance as they grow quickly and might get stuck in case of panicking.
From my experience the best designs are round, so nobody can get caught in a corner.

Vent holes are good and I would even add another entrance as they grow quickly and might get stuck in case of panicking.
From my experience the best designs are round, so nobody can get caught in a corner.
What do you think about adding a few red LED lights to the interior. Do you think that might motivate them to enter on their own?

What do you think about adding a few red LED lights to the interior. Do you think that might motivate them to enter on their own?
I don't have experience with red LED lights.

You could make a change to the top so it can be temporarily lifted on the longer side to allow for more light and get around the claustrophobic ambience.
And when they are all inside and snuggled up, the top can be closed back.

What does the wool hen look like on the inside? All we see is a 3" tall mouse hole.

My understanding is you want a bunch of wool strips hanging down like those in an automatic car wash. You need a gap all the way across with the wool hanging down below the wood enough to touch their backs when they crouch, about 1.5-2" from the ground.

What does the wool hen look like on the inside? All we see is a 3" tall mouse hole.

My understanding is you want a bunch of wool strips hanging down like those in an automatic car wash. You need a gap all the way across with the wool hanging down below the wood enough to touch their backs when they crouch, about 1.5-2" from the ground.
Inside there is a 1" strip of wool every 1 1/2 square inches. Which is about 380 strips of wool in the box. Which hang down 1/2 inch from the floor. It actually is more effective than I thought it would be, and you are right, it looks like a chicken carwash inside I just need to figure out how to motivate them to use it. As LeFleche had recommended, I will be enlarging the entrance and adding some ventilation holes.

I'm thinking of making one of these to brood with this spring. I have a big piece of wool material I got at goodwill, thinking I'll make a wrap around skirt. That was 20 years ago. If moths and mice haven't trashed it, I may have a use for it yet.

Back
Top Bottom