Any suggestions for shipping a dog??

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by FLchook, Jul 21, 2011.

1. FLchook

FLchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Hi guys,

My sister is moving home from Hawaii while her hubby is deployed to Afganastan, but they are finding a big problem shipping their dog. They have an American Bulldog, and most airlines will not take any short nosed dogs. [​IMG] so were looking for other options, hopefully something less then $1,100 shes finding now. [​IMG]

Since she is not moving on official orders, the Army will not pay for the transport of the pets.

Does anyone have any suggestions? or experiences?

Thanks!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I believe some airlines allow the owner to carry the dog in the cabin with them for the price of a ticket. I would not recommend putting a bulldog in the cargo hold of a plane.

3. FLchook

FLchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    American Bulldog is 70lbs. Unless they let him have his own seat, that's not happening LOL

Whats the problem with bulldogs in cargo?? I've heard several people mention it, but no one really knew why. Just curious, but the bulldog part is whats giving the biggest of problems.

4. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    Pet Airways

5. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Buy the dog a seat on the plane next to her... some airlines let you do that. I'm not sure who. [​IMG]

6. 2emma2

2emma2 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I don't believe any dog should be trasnported in an airplane during this time of year. It is way too hot.

7. jwg423

jwg423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Minnesota
    Quote:I'm going to guess it has to do with the air thinning, and breathing issues???
    Could be wrong but this is what I would guess

8. jwg423

jwg423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Minnesota
  9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Quote:Um, yeah, for the price of a ticket you do get a seat. Poor pressure and temp control in the hold makes travelinjg there hard on any animal and especially so on one that we have physically modified so radically in our selective breeeding process.

10. Sparkalator

Sparkalator Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    Florida
    I have a friend who takes his full grown Boxer with him on trips all the time, he flies on American airlines and the dog sits right next to him. He says the flight attendants love the dog and are always bringing the dog treats. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by