Any suggestions/ideas on what is going on here with my female pheasant?

Farm Mrs

Hatching
Mar 24, 2017

I purchased this female just a few days ago to make a trio of red golden pheasants. She's much quieter than the others and her eyes seem red. She is also opening her mouth and not making any noise. Ideas about what it possibly could be? She's isolated and I've got dewormer in her water just in case. I also have dewormer in the pairs water. I'm also watching the pair closely for any signs like hers. They were together for three days.

Last edited:
Is she lame? Is she eating? Does she run from you when you approach her? Put your head clause to hear listen for any raspiness in her breath. Does she always have her mouth open or only when you are holding her? She may just be stressed. If she is eating drinking and running around I would not be concerned but if she starts acting lame and tired then I'd look into it more.

She's just sits on the floor of her temporary coop (doesn't seems to roost in the temp coop but she was in the regular coop) I have to go back out and see if she's eaten any of the food in there. I had to use the net to catch her but once I got her she relaxed and was almost sleeping in my arms. She opens and closes her mouth all the time.

I believe birdmanmax is right! You have created a very stressful situation. Not only being caught and transported to her new home but also you netting her again. Make sure she has a "get away" place, so she can get away from her pen mates. Putting a new bird in an establish flock, is very stressful for both parties. Also, she'll be able to hide from you. She'll settle down in a few days and become comfortable with her new surroundings, make sure her pen mates aren't harrassing her(sometimes a new bird will be killed by the establish flock) it's their territory.

The other two I have never did this when they were stressed from moving. When I checked on her this morning she was at the water so she is drinking but her mouth looked funny. I didn't have time to go and inspect further but it almost looked like she was foamy on the one side of her mouth.

Back
Top Bottom