Any suggestions on home made brooder

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CHIC, Sep 21, 2009.

1. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    DH is building it. I just need suggestions on shape size depth etc. It will consist of 2x4s and plywood- free material! help me pretty please

2. Capone

Capone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Rhode Island
    you know a big rubbermaid bin would work just as well. it depends on how many chicks your going to brood also

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  3. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Not much help here, DH has built everything except a brooder so far, but for now I am using a heavy duty cardboard box with a lamp.

I would sugguest that if possible make it big enough to put at least 2 separate compartments in it, in case you have different hatch dates (ages) that need to be brooded.

4. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    I use a large rubbermaid tote... cheap and easy to wash out

5. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    Well, he didn't want to wait for any advise so I just went out to check on him. He is sooo macho lol. Anyways, its pretty big and octagon. He's great at building so I'm sure it will be great. I didn't want it to be wood but the chicks are coming tomorrow and we already have the wood and I have zero dollars to work with lol.

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Check out the "raising chicks" section of BYC, there is a whole many-many-page stickied thread of people showing their homemade brooders [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

7. wing it

wing it Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    long island
  8. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    I use an old hamster caged pen...those recrrangler ones...plastic bottom...wired top that lays on top...side door

9. Chicks & Turks

Chicks & Turks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    pm or email patyrdz, hers are made from those materials and hold lots of birds. Her husband builds them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by