1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any suggestions on keeping chickens from eating my house?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dperrin, Sep 15, 2009.

1. dperrin

dperrin Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    Wondering if anyone could offer a suggestion - or suggestions for deterring chickens from getting close to my house?

I let them wander around the yard after work. They seem to love being out but sometimes they end up pecking at cellar wall insulation on the outside of the house.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    Hmmm, you may have to put up hardwear cloth. I would not think the foam would be to good for them. [​IMG]

3. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

For some reason they love foam. Do get it covred with something... seems like normal hardware cloth they'd just peck through, though they make some really small hole type, 1/4 inch would make it pretty difficult. I'm going to keep thinking what else will work too but the small wire might just do the trick.

4. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

maybe really, really thin plywood...

5. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I don't know....but my chickens love foam. I tried giving them some scraps in a foam take out container and they ate the whole bottom out. I was worried sick for a few days, but they were no worse for the wear!!

Now I put it on a plastic platter before I take it out to them [​IMG]

6. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    You're going to have to cover it with something -- whether you're worried about the foam hurting them or not, you sure don't want to have to replace all your insulation!

Hardware cloth should do it, though. They' won't be able to get their beaks through. Unfortunately, the amount you need to go all the way around the house probably won't be cheap.

7. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    why WHY do chickens like stryofoam? Does anyone know? I've never met a chicken that would turn it down!

8. koifarm

koifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

First thing that struck me was the different color where the pecks are.
    Hens will see that difference and peck just to see what it is. Try painting over the insulation and see if the solid color changes things...otherwise you'll have to cover it with siding or plywood.

9. dperrin

dperrin Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    thank you all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by