Any suggestions on my little watering issue?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ButtersMama, Dec 3, 2011.

1. ButtersMama

ButtersMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    I've decided to water my chickens in their run over the winter. They are tipping the hanging ONE GALLON WATERERS and making the dirt floor a muddy mess. Any ideas or tips of something that fits perfectly at the right height to put under the waterers? They are the plastic, round, red bottomed, one gallon waterers.

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  2. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I have an outside heated bucket waterer like this:
    [​IMG]
    and a 2 liter bottle waterer inside the heated coop like this:
    [​IMG]

They both are working great

3. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    put a party hat on your waterer. no seriously. any cone-shaped thing will do though. the point is, to make it so your birds can't fly up and land on top of the waterer, making them far less likely to tip them over.

4. Quack-a-DoodleDo

Quack-a-DoodleDo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2011
    Quote:Do you have intructions on how to make these? I would love to make some.

5. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    The Backyarder has offered to make videos that I am adding to the information area of the Beaktime website. Soon we should have details on the different systems. Let me know if you have any questions

6. ontimeborzoi

ontimeborzoi Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Northern Neck of Va
    Also, consider that a larger waterer would be heavier and more stable. Set it up on a paver, or a cinderblock, or some bricks, or a couple scraps of 4" x 4".....

7. frostbite

frostbite Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    I've got one of those doggie "cone of shame" thingies (the ones your dog gets from the vet when he has surgery) that I was going to attach to the top of my waterer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by