any suggestions on red mange?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Heathero617, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Heathero617

Heathero617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Took in a neglected Boston a week and a half ago, he's clearly got red mange >aka Demodectic mange< Have been bathing him with medicated shampoo knowing full well it will not cure him or even affect the mites. Just looking to give him a bit of relief until his immune system comes back into line. He was malnourished, caked in mud and muck, hit by a car and had a broken rib that was clearly never treated. I just want something to try and help him BEFORE i go and have all of those toxic things administered to him. Poor guy cant be any older than a year....if that. I read a recipe for peroxide and borax as a dip....anyone ever try it? Thanks in advance.

2. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    I was a vet tech and when dogs had demadex our vets would prescribe a small dose of ivermectin daily. Get your vet to give you the right dose because ivermectin can be neurotoxic. Good luck

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Re: any suggestions on red mange?I was a vet tech and when dogs had demadex our vets would prescribe a small dose of ivermectin daily

1/10th ML per 10 lbs given orally , daily until 2 weeks after all symptoms disappear is what cured my dog​

4. Heathero617

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Thanks, i was trying to get him feeling better before pumping him full of toxins or coating him in them. The ivermectin is proving difficult to find for some reason. Does it go by a different name? I've read that pour on for cattle will work orally but eesh i dont have any cattle and to buy a bottle seems a bit excessive to me.

5. dutchhollow

dutchhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    Ivomec can be purchased in any feed store, injectable or pour on, or online Jeffers carries it. You are going to have to use a chemicle to get rid of them (either the dip, or the ivomec). I would get started, it takes a long time, and I can't imagine the misery of what dogs with that go through.

6. annanicole18

annanicole18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    USA
    My parents dog had it years ago when she was a pup and he said the best thing to bath her in was selsun blue. The active ingredient in selsun blue really helps. I believe she also had to have a weekly shot for a while. Poor thing got all naked but made it and is a fat happy 16 year old. If he loses all his hair watch for sun burn.

7. Heathero617

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Yeah my parents had a dog with it as well. Stress and other factors account for flare ups. Since he was malnourished and had been hit by a car, i would consider that stress! My husband has him with him out of town while working to keep him company and he said he was going to try dandruf shampoo to see if it helped at all. I believe i'll just have him keep him as itch and pain free as possible until i get there this weekend then I'll take him to my old vet. I just dont want to compromise his immune system any further.

8. Heathero617

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Quote:Maybe i'll run to the co-op or TSC today and see if i can find it. I'm going up to where he is this weekend so if i can go armed, i guess i should. I will be taking him to the vet while visiting but he needs something. Poor guy has been through so much already, i cant stand that we havent been able to relieve him at all

9. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

What you want is marked as 1% injectable for goats.

I have never heard of given it to them daily?

The dose I use an see others using is 1/10th of a CC for every 10 pounds or 1/100th of a CC per pound in there food once a week for 4 or 5 weeks. Insulin needle is the best way to measure that out.
    [​IMG]

One unit of insulin is 1/100th of a CC so if the dog weighs 20 pounds you draw out to the 20 mark in the insulin needle, if its 15 pounds go to the 15 mark.

This does can be deadly to Ivermectin sensitive dogs like collies an other herding breeds.

Man I hate writing this stuff out for fear of mistakes.... I think I have it all down right.

10. Heathero617

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Quote:Yes i read that you have to be very careful about dosages. Insulin needles i have pleanty of. He's a Boston Terrier so safe in the herding breed area. I think maybe i'll just wait it out, use the preoxide combo and take him to the vet when i get in town there. I thank you ever so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by