any suggestions on watering in the winter?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by adobechicks, Mar 3, 2012.

1. adobechicks

adobechicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2012
    Is the best option to buy something heated? Right know our water is freezing everyday, so we break it out and fill it everyday?

2. dsfrango

dsfrango Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Stafford Springs
    Is the coop far from your house? If getting electricity is difficult to get to the coop then I would recommend what I do...I bring mine to the cellar for the night and put back out in the morning. It just takes 5 min in the evening and 5 in the morning. Saves electricity and safer

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  3. adobechicks

Mar 3, 2012
    The coup is close to the house. I have their chick light out there right now trying to keep it warm. Bringing it in seems the easiest...why didn't think of that!!!! to simple I guess haha

4. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
  5. dsfrango

Sep 12, 2011
    Stafford Springs
    Yup I agree, haha, too simple I didn't even think of it myself, someone suggested it to me and it's worked out just great for me:) no wires or electric bills

6. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    What good does bringing the water in at night, if it's at or below 32 degrees during the day? The water will STILL freeze. I guess you could run fresh unfrozen water out to the coop every couple of hours.
    Jack

7. dsfrango

Sep 12, 2011
    Stafford Springs
    Well it takes hours for it to freeze, and using like 60-70 degree water helps. Them drinking also agitates the surface a little. It will usually stay liquid til about night fall when u bring it in. Don't know about everyone else but I am in the northeast and this winter is very mild if u ask me, I don't even have to do it every day:)

8. adobechicks

Mar 3, 2012
    It generally isn't below freezing during the day here. and inside the coop it is a little warmer. If it is below 32 than I guess we will just wing it !!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by