1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 808hawaiian, Mar 8, 2016.

1. 808hawaiian

808hawaiian Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2016
    Hey guys is it normal if my hen killed her 1st chick dat hatch lastnite and is eating it? this is her first batch n first chick should i be concerned n separate her from her eggs i dont no what to do

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    Not normal. Any hen that kills and eats her chick should not be a broody hen. If possible remove the hen from her eggs and hatch the eggs under another broody or in an incubator.

3. 808hawaiian

Mar 1, 2016
    I will thank u could the other reason be my cage meet be to small

4. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015

In my opinion. No. Should any hen of mine kill her chicks, she will be gone or in the stew pot.

1 person likes this.
  5. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC, and no, the size of the cage should not influence cannibalism. My broody hatches her chicks in a plastic basin with no problems at all.

If you check out the Learning Centre, you'll find a whole host of resources on all things chicken.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Your state thread is worth joining as you will get to know other BYC members in your area (https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread). In fact, the search box should become your best friend [​IMG] Lastly but by no means least, the members here are amazing - very friendly and helpful, so if you need an answer to a question or simply want some reassurance that what you are doing is ok, then post away - we all help each other out here at BYC.

All the best
    CT

1 person likes this.
  6. 808hawaiian

Mar 1, 2016
    Lol ya i was thinking bout dat too but she only killed dat one the second one is still alive if i wake up tomorrow n dat chick is dead i just going raise her chicks but the rest of the eggs didnt hatch she had 11 killed 1 1 hatched but the other 9 is still eggs how long does it take from wen the first egg hatches

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Flock Master Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I answered you on your other thread.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by