Any Swedish Horse People Here? Need Help

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Redcatcher, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    I have a few questions. My mom was a Swede but she passed away many years ago and I have forgotten much of what she had taught me in Swedish. Her family raised Swedish Ardennais horses so I began sculpting a stallion that will be cast in resin. I am getting to the finishing stage now and I am trying to recall some of the names they had and their meanings. I would be very grateful for any help.

2. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Don't know any Swedish!

However, I wanted to be a linguistic historian at one point so I do like learning languages, even informally.

A lot of Scandinavian words are similar to English, especially "common" words like colors or numbers since both Swedish and English are in the larger Germanic branch of languages.

For instance, Storm is the same in both English and Swedish, as well as Norwegian and Icelandic.

Other than that? [​IMG] Google translator?

3. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    I think the little towns in areas where they are bred and human names are common in their pedigrees.

personally, I like the name 'Gallico' for where their ancestors were bred.

4. Redcatcher

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    I forgot to mention that the sculpture needs a name but I think everyone figured that out. From what I can recall, the stallion owned by my family was named Blinnie. Or that is what it sounded like. I think he was named for a local fish. I had someone tell me it is too English sounding and he should have a proper Swedish name. I am wondering if a Swede would know the significance of this name.

5. Redcatcher

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    Quote:I like the name too but it sounds Italian or Latin to me. Where did you find that?

6. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

My friend, Joyce Concklin, raises that breed right here in Brooksville, Florida...her farm is called clover oaks farm. You can find her on Facebook & Google her farm. She would love to hear from you and give you name suggestions. Good luck - it sounds like a neat project!

7. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

Website is : cloveroaksfarm.com

8. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    I looked on some websites about Swedish Ardennais. But I can't remember which website their area of origin was mentioned in.

Why don't use you use some traditional Swedish names?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by