Any tax experts out there?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by shelleyd2008, Jan 19, 2009.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I almost always do my taxes myself, through free-file on the IRS site. This year I am a bit stumped.
    See my situation is this: I lived in Florida from Jan 1-May 27. I worked in FL for a few months. I now live in Kentucky, and have not worked since I have moved here.
    Florida does not have state income taxes, Kentucky does.

So the site asked me my state of residence for state taxes. I did not pay any state taxes last year, since FL has none.

So do I still have to file state taxes for KY, even though I did not work here? I'm thinking no, but I'm not sure.

Any help would be appreciated!! The IRS is closed due to the holiday today, otherwise I'd call them. I did call H&R Block, but they don't know.

2. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    I have no answer for your question. But I would think H&R block should know the answer. Or maybe they dont want to give you the answer because you havent payed them for their service??

3. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I tried H&R Block, but the woman I spoke with first put me on hold and asked her supervisor, but then she said they weren't sure. I'm trying to remember how they have done it before? I lived here (in KY) and moved to FL, and had worked in both places. It seems like they seperated the adjusted gross income for the different states? I need to learn to move on January 1st, it would be so much easier! [​IMG]

4. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Don't ever get your taxes done, or try getting any accurate info from H&R...let's just say that ANYBODY who has has more than just a very simple tax prep should go elsewhere. Many people I now have learned thier lesson, along with us.
    After all they hire students during tax prep season, train them quickly and let them lose...find an independant, you'll be much happoer with the results...you'll even get money back:>)

5. Blue Skys

Blue Skys Hi Mom!!

Nov 25, 2008
    Texas
    There is probably a seperate form for partial taxes. I moved from VA to TX (VA has state taxes TX does not) and I just filed a partial form for VA. Call the tax office from the blue section of the phone book, they will tell you. This stuff is always so confusing, you think they would make it easier for people to do it themselves.

6. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Look at the instructions for 2008 740-NP, the part year resident form:

Persons moving into Kentucky must report income received
    from Kentucky sources prior to becoming residents and
    income received from all sources after becoming Kentucky
    residents.

More than likely you will report your FL income on the form and then later subtract the portion that wasn't earned in KY, so that your net KY income is $0.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2009
  7. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Oops, I take that back. The beginning of the instructions say that part year residents only have to file to KY if they had KY income.

WHO MUST FILE FORM 740-NP—Form 740-NP must be used
    by full-year nonresidents who had income from Kentucky
    sources and by part-year residents who had income while a
    Kentucky resident or from Kentucky sources while a nonresident.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2009
  8. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Ok, thanks. That's what I was thinking, and since all my income came from Florida, then I'll just do the federal part.

9. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by