Any thing I can use to clean a dirt floor

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jk47, Jul 31, 2014.

1. jk47

jk47 Songster

Apr 17, 2013
    CA
    I want to be able to clean and disinfect the floor of my run witch is dirt I know that in the broiler industry they have a layer of bedding then dirt and after they clean the bedding out they burn the floor to kill any pests is there any way to do it other then using heat

2. dunedin

dunedin Chirping

Jun 29, 2014
    why? have you had some disease you are worried about in your flock? what about adding a nice deep layer of litter ( like wood shavings or chopped straw or dead leaves) if you are after a fresh clean surface?

3. chkn

chkn Songster

Jun 27, 2010
    I use a little bleach in water and dump several buckets on the floor. Then I water it in some more. Usually I do this when cleaning out the coop and litter. I may use a drop or two of soap in the bucket and wipe the walls with it. One thing that comes in handy is one of those plastic ball shaped dusters on a stick to do the walls. Anyway, you just have to keep the chickens from drinking the water until it soaks in (at least I do). It makes things smell clean and dry and gives the chickens a cool place in the hot weather. Good old Clorox!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: