Any thoughts about this Turkey

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by oldhenlikesdogs, Jan 27, 2016.

1. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

I have this 6 month old Tom, he's always looked messy, I thought maybe he doesn't preen his feathers properly, but now I'm wondering if he's a mutant. His body feathers are almost like a silkie chickens, but his tail and wing feathers are normal but ratty looking.

I plucked some feathers off his back today and they are odd, so anyone ever see this. There were 5 others he was raised with, including another bourbon red, they are all healthy, this Tom does shiver a bit when it's cold. I know I can't fix it but just curious about it.

[​IMG]

2. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Huh....he does have odd looking feathers. Did you breed him? I was curious if he's been at your house his whole life....do you know his parents?

3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

That is weird.

Did you dry him in the dryer after his last bath instead of hanging him on the line to dry like the directions say?

My first thought was I want a frizzy turkey. Then when you said the part about him being cold. I know it would not work here

4. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    But maybe he could be the start of a southern tolerant turkey line! He could handle our summers! He's cute.

5. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Oldhen....any chance you can get better pics of him? He's sort of in a shadow. Would love a closer look at his feathers. Although, after plucking his feathers he made avoiding you :lol:

6. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Oldhen would you mind if I "steal" that picture of the feathers and ask about it on the genetics (porters) thread of FB?

7. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I got the hatching eggs from Porters, I will try to get a better picture, he usually comes inside the shed to display while I clean it, because he's afraid of the older toms. I live in Wisconsin, so pretty cold, he does feel the weather unlike the others.

Thanks for your responses, feel free to share and ask anyone, I was wondering if a weird mutations could be bred from him, though I'm not set up to separate him out and breed him back to his sister.

8. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The last one is my camera hog blue tom, the bourbon tom had regular feathers until he grew out his adult plumage, makes me wonder if it's genetic or something like a deficiency. thanks for looking and any thoughts.

10. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    That's crazy! He looks like a fizzle turkey! He's neat looking. Ralph was/is going to post a few shots on Porters genetic Facebook group for discussion. Interesting the eggs were from him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by