Any thoughts.... Day 25 of incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tdmason, Mar 2, 2015.

1. tdmason

tdmason Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2008
    I need some ideas... I havent incubated in years and trying it again. I have 10 eggs that have been good. We had some temp issues as we lost power for a few hours. The incubator got to 73 before power came back on but chicks were still ok when i checked them the next day. Today is day 25. I noticed eggs rocking the past three days but no pipping. Im worried they are stuck inside or something. Any thoughts???

2. loverofhatching

loverofhatching Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2014
    Lahore, Pakistan
    how many days into incubation did power incident occur ?

3. tdmason

Jun 2, 2008
    Day 18. Sane day i took them off turner

4. tdmason

Jun 2, 2008
    I checked them and now only one peeps when i tap on the shell. What causes them to be fine and then just die? Temps at 99 and humidity has been 58.

5. loverofhatching

Jun 16, 2014
    Lahore, Pakistan
    At day 18 some fluctuation in temperature is ok because at this point embryo is generating its own heat. but humidity is very crucial for embryos to become a chick i.e., hatch out of shell. i am no expert on inucubators as i hatch naturally but i have read that humidity should be around 80% in last 3 days (day 19-21). gentic factors also count for hatchability and also well being of parent stock.

6. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    The general recommendation for humidity at hatch is at LEAST 65% at lockdown-hatch. I personally, try to keep mine at 75%. I find that a lot of end of hatch deaths are related to humidity, unless temps have been an issue in the early developement stages. If your humidity has been during incubation or is for hatch too low it can cause chicks to shrink wrap in the egg by the membrane. If your humidity runs too high during hatch they can drown in the excess moisture within the egg.

Also are you using a still air incubator or forced air?

7. tdmason

Jun 2, 2008
    It is a still air incubator. I got the humidity up yesterday to 73 by adding a wash cloth.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    You might want to candle, and make a very tiny opening at the top of the egg in the air cell. But, if you do this, you may be on commit for assisted hatch. How long have they been peeping and/or rocking? If over 24 hours, they may need assistance. Be sure you read all the info thoroughly in "hatching 101" in the learning center about assisted hatches.

9. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    For future hatches you may do, I would suggest a lower humidity days 1-17 (if your humidty has been 58% for the entire incubation,) I would shoot for somewhere between 30-40% and monitor the air cells for guidance. Then up it day 18 to at LEAST 65% (I strive for 75%).

Also a still air icubator should be ran at 101-102F not the 99.5 that forced air incubators are (despite manufacture suggestions), and measured toward the tops of the eggs.

The hatch could be delayed due to a lower aveage temp and a loss of heat (though at day 18, that shouldn't make that much of a difference I wouldn't think.)

I too would candle.

Here is the assisted hatching link if you decide you need it:https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

10. loverofhatching

Jun 16, 2014
    Lahore, Pakistan
    I was also going to recommend the same article that AmyLynn2374 has recommended. It is the best article about assisted hatching

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by