Any thoughts on breed and gender...age too

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Milkapple, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Milkapple

Milkapple Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2013
    Northern England
    Yes I am completely new to this. Only introduced myself yesterday and someone pointed out to me what was trying to be ignored so here goes. Excuse the pics its chucking it down here I will get more
    [​IMG]

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

The one on the left is a hen opposite side is a rooster more pictures would help. [​IMG]

3. Milkapple

Aug 16, 2013
    Northern England
    I knew it. Bacon! Oh I so wish this rain would go away! Lol
    Only have 3 photos and they're always hard to see properly. Any ideas on breed? Please excuse the temporary coop in this one. The other is my profile x
    [​IMG]

4. Veer67

The rooster looks like a Welsummer the hen might be too.

5. Milkapple

Aug 16, 2013
    Northern England
    Thankyou :)
    Agree that whichever they are they are definitely the same breed.
    Now for the question I don't want to ask. Do all roosters crow or can it vary bird to bird? x

6. Milkapple

Aug 16, 2013
    Northern England
    Welsummer was also the breed I stopped at when checking though breed pics x

7. Veer67

It can depend on the breed, I've heard that some Serama roosters never crow and that a silkies crow sounds weird and bubbly ( but it depends some roosters are loud others aren't).

8. Milkapple

Aug 16, 2013
    Northern England
    Well Bacon better hope if he crows he isn't too loud...my neighbours most definitely will not appreciate it. Thankyou for your answers.
    From the age given when they came they are around 19 weeks old and I know in need of tlc...x

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  9. lilypad

lilypad Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2013
    UK
    Hello fellow northerner!

Don't want to put a damper on this, but welsummer's are a loud breed in general I've found. I've never had a cockerel, but when my hen gets going she was louder than a cockerel that use to live a few houses down. Many people I've talked too have said their welsummers are the loudest in their flock.
    But to me your chickens don't look like welsummers, not pure welsummers anyway, but if you could get some clearer pictures soon that would really help [​IMG]

10. Milkapple

Aug 16, 2013
    Northern England
    [​IMG]
    Bacon x
    The loudest either have been so far is when one has found a juicy worm that the other wishes to have.
    Today was awful weather wise. Eggs was not impressed and neither were me and my young lad x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by