Any thoughts on Cumfy Pets USA coops

bigclucker

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 17, 2009
I've already got an old rabbit hutch I converted and a kit house someone put together and then changed their mind about getting chickens. I've got 12 hens and would like to add maybe 12 more.

I've seen a Giant Deluxe Coop from Cumfy Pets and have a chance to get one for about $400. Are these any good?

I realize I could probably get the materials cheaper and build something, but this is not a talent and the time and tool factor are limited.

Any thoughts, positive or negative are very welcome ...

Thanks in advance.

Here's a link to that coop:
http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/pets-accessories/comfy-pets-large-deluxe-chicken-coop/

I'm going to try and figure out what the size is..
Geez louise, I cannot for the life of me find the dimensions. The one review states that it is for 4-5 large fowl, which usually means that it might fit 2-3 hens. Looks to me to be the size of a large doghouse, if so, I think you could do much better getting a doghouse locally.

But if you are thinking you would like 12 more hens, you need a MUCH larger coop, like an 8 by 8. Sorry to be a downer, but most of those who have posted having bought this type of coop are disappointed with the final product.

Last edited:
I purchased a Cumfy Pets Giant Deluxe size coop and run, and my 8 standard breed chickens fit into it just fine. All eight manage to fit next to each other on one of the two roosts inside, but I kinda wished the roosts had been just a tad higher. I don't think the coop will last many years, as the wood is a soft wood and is minimally "sealed" with a stain. However, I still like it, and loved how easy it was to put together. I've moved it 3 times after it's been put together, once I finally decided there was a better and finally best location for it.
barnie.gif

By comparison, the coop I built myself, first, is an A-Frame tractor type, and will last a zillion years. It would take a major earthquake knocking all of California off North America to move IT - or a huge piece of farm equipment to maneuver it about, I guess. Also, it cost a whole lot less than the Cumfy Pet kit coop, but does look very much like a girl built it.
big_smile.png

The Cumfy Pets kit coop impresses my non-BYC friends, and they all think it has all the right stuff. Nice looking, easy to clean, etc. (I don't tell 'em how much I spent for it, though.) These same friends were also very impressed with my home-made coop, but for different reasons.
thumbsup.gif

Currently, my chickens are happy with both structures, but since none of them would go up the ramp into the A-Frame coop interior, they all troop back to the Cumfy Coop at night, where I lock 'em up for security.

I succumbed to Instant Gratification issues to purchase the Cumfy Pets kit, and am not sorry I did so. Others' mileage may differ.

This is kinda cool. I never saw these before. I was in a bind with winter coming and bougt two Ware Rabbit hutches (My rabbits DO get out every day for excercise) and I find the Ware Products to be pretty cheaply made and NOT of good Quality for the price. I put a coat of polyureathane on them for more wood protection and moved them into the barn for winter.

Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. If you need it now and money is not an issue, buy it and put some extra stain or protection on it. GOOD LUCK and let us know how it goes.

I'll try to find the link. There is one on ebay identical.

The one I'm looking at is built (or at least the description states) for 12-15 standard size or 20 bantam chickens.

My thoughts were that by the time I bought the materials, $%# around for a month re-cutting and trying to bum help, I'd have about the same amount amount of money in it.
tongue.png

I'll put that link up as soon as I get it.

I looked at the link that Gryeyes sent. They call it a 'giant coop'. I thought that it was pleasant to look at, neat design, but I think it has a major flaw unless pics from a different angle could reveal more. It appears to not have near enough ventilation. Some one commented that the roosts could be higher. In one that low, that would put the chooks too close to the hot roof-decking in summertime. Also I wonder if roof overhang couldn't be more to help cover the hinge area of the egg doors and protect against leakage. To me tho, the biggie is what appears to be the lack of proper ventilation.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom