Any thoughts on Dry ACV

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jdoane, Sep 20, 2013.

1. jdoane

jdoane Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    Has anyone ever used this? My Pet Chicken sells it. Way cheaper than Braggs

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I haven't used it, but I have a cheap way of making it. You have to buy the first bottle of Bragg's, and take 8 ounces of it, and put into a 1 gallon glass jug. Add 2 cans of frozen apple juice (store brand) and the amount of water to mix those 2 cans of juice. Put a coffee filter or paper towel and a rubber band on the opening. In warm weather it takes 1 month, and in winter, it takes 2 months to make vinegar (keeping it in the house.) You can use the rest of your Bragg's to make more batches, and then always reserve a cup of your homemade vinegar (with mother) to start a new batch. Finding glass jugs nowadays is harder.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I use ACV in my chickens water. They're healthy and happy, but I'm not really sure how much good it does. I'd imagine the acidity makes their gut an inhospitable place for parasites to live. Anyway, it certainly doesn't hurt them.
    I "make" my own as well. I bought the cheapest bottle of unpasteurized ACV I could find. Then I bought the cheapest bottle of pasteurized ACV I could find. Shake the UP stuff up, add a good glug to the pasteurized and you've got a big jug of the good stuff. Easy peasy :)

4. jdoane

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    So no experience with the dry stuff?

5. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Never heard of it but do tell how you like it. I would imagine it is like citrus acid. You know Apple Cider Vinegar is available at most grocery stores for less than $2 usually for a small bottle and no shipping costs.

Caroline

6. jdoane

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    This is like $2 to make 8 gallons or something like that. I think I'm going to give it a whirl. I'll let people know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by