Any thoughts on this Red Golden chick?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by FeatheredObsessions, Aug 9, 2010.

1. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    I bought a young group of Red Goldens. I have seen 30+ chicks from this breeder and his breeding stock and how they are housed. I saw nothing abnormal in them but one of the males is feathering out white flecks. These pictures don't do him a bit of justice! The white is in his facial feathers and neck but hardly shows in these pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Charliet

Charliet away

Apr 8, 2010
    macon GA
    this is probably either from servre inbreeding or possibly a splash golden

3. Junglefowl

Junglefowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2010
    New Mexico
  4. FeatheredObsessions

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    Is this typical through back or bred for? I did not see this in any of the breeders cage whom we bought this bloodline from. I don't really want to mix this line with my others if it is.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  5. Junglefowl

Jul 27, 2010
    New Mexico
    It maybe a through back that was bred into the breeder male or female linage a while back and has come back. It happens quite a bit. If you breed this young male to a clean golden hen your chances of getting offspring with white in them are VERY low.
    Hope this helps

6. Charliet

Charliet away

Apr 8, 2010
    macon GA
    i never knew they had pied goldens. i thought that that splash was sortof the golden pied boy do i feel dumb:D i thought it was from servere inbreeding as that is usally how it shows itself in the birds has white feathers you just showed me somthing new Saul thanks

7. Junglefowl

Jul 27, 2010
    New Mexico
    Your Welcome. A splash has differents colors on a birds where as pied is only white... Although white does show on a feather of a bird in stress or that has gone through alot of stress. It shows up more like a bar or barring not a solid white.

8. FeatheredObsessions

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    It is individual feathers in the areas the other colored featheres are coming in so it must be. Thank you! I really want the different blood line but not sure I want this bird in the breeding program now?

9. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Well just box him up and send him to me..... [​IMG]

10. Junglefowl

Jul 27, 2010
    New Mexico
    What do you plan on doing with him...What would you want for him???
    Thanks,
    Saul-

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by