1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any thoughts or ideas for this one?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickmchickie, Aug 5, 2011.

1. chickmchickie

chickmchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Ely Mn
    Hello all... as some of you know i have almost 4 week old babies.. BS..RIR..NEW HAMP.. BLACK AUS..
    I had them in a pool and when they got a wee bit bigger i added card board around the inside of the pool, it all worked great.. The since i had a ferret / whelping play pen laying around they have that now topped with chicken wire.. They will be 4 week sold on the 9th.. and i am thinking of taking them and the pen and setting it out side in the coop.. with their night time red lamp of course.. but leaving them in the pen for now.. opening the door during the day and stuff.. I just ordered 25 more chicks.. Americana so the pool will be their home working way up to the cardboard around that to the pen.. Do you think that will be ok? should i just let them out with the pen in the coop. I know i need to leave them in there for 3 days before letting them out so they know its their new home.. but i was thinking 4 weeks is just to early for that.. i dunno , i sure would welcome your ideas and thoughts...

also i still have no clue what my free chick was, i called McMurry and they told me that they do not send out a straight run, it is in fact a mix of males and females.. his or her comb isn't as big as my females and its smaller then the rest of the chicks, the chip munk colour is gone and its gray now with a very light white barred on his wings but its so faint..and so fine.. Everyone here is getting so attached his or her name is leggs when we first got them he or she has the longer legs lol.. i sure it isn't a he cause i will have to get rid of him if that is the case..

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. chickmchickie

Jul 6, 2011
    Ely Mn
    anyone? i dont bite i swear..

3. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    there is just no way of telling

4. greenegglover

greenegglover Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Not many people are up this late at night.....but Im awake [​IMG] I dont know your temps there but at 4 weeks old they can be around 70-75 deg. If lamp is needed make sure its in a corner so they move to another side of coop if it get too hot!

5. chickmchickie

Jul 6, 2011
    Ely Mn
    about how i will transfer then out side and in the play pen or the sex of the chick.. lol my main question was about how i was going to put them outside i was looking for ideas and thoughts .thanks

6. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    when i take new chicks or turkeys outside, i will usually lock them in for 2-3 days with food and water. when i open them up to go outside, i'll move the water outside. i don't put a heat lamp in, unless it's cold out. for a week or so, i'll go out at around dusk and put them in their house and lock them in. after that, if they don't know to go inside, i guess they stay outside [​IMG]

7. suki'smom

suki'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    Hello there [​IMG] I'm not sure as to what your little cheepie is but my chicks are one month old and living outside in the coop and attached run just fine without a heat lamp, even at night.

8. chickmchickie

Jul 6, 2011
    Ely Mn
    They are off the heat lamp during the day.. and at night it goes back on... but they seem to not sleep under it anymore.. they are int he basement right now til monday when they go out to the coop.. I need to make room for 25 more come n the 11th..

our weather has been weird, ely mn doesn't really see much above 75 in summer and the last 3 weeks its been 85 to 98 during the day but our nights are at 50 to 60.. so i think i will keep the heath lamp inside the coop at night.. till they get a bit older.. then in 4 weeks the other crew will go out there under the light at night too, but in another pen so they wont get picked on till they all get used to each other there.. .. I just need ot get everyone ready for our long and -50 winters here..

I think i just became a chicken farmer lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by