1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any thoughts welcome..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sdaikus, Nov 16, 2016.

1. sdaikus

sdaikus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2016
    Ok.. Sorry this is my third post, but no one is responding! (Probably bc they are at a loss, as am I)

I have a 30 week old ameraucana chicken. About 4 days ago I noticed she was less energetic and not eating. She was pecking at the air like she was blind or couldn't bend her neck.

I left her along for a day and then I saw she wasn't drinking so I brought her inside.. Checked her vent and noticed the top part of her opening was swollen. She has not layed at all yet so I felt for an egg and I don't feel anything. Her poop has gotten loser so And yellow tinged? I started corid as a precaution (not sure if that was the right thing to do) I've been syringe feeding her water with corid and water with acv and plain yogurt.

I don't know how to feel her crop.. I feel a hardish kidney bean like thing to the right of her breast bone. Maybe that is her crop and something stuck? I have no clue!!

Any suggestions???

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Okay, first did you isolate her from the rest of the flock? It may be egg bound (never had an egg bound hen so not sure) but here is an article on the subject: Egg Binding: Symptoms, Treatment and Prevention . Also, I'm not sure the yogurt is the best because it maybe hard for her to digest (again not sure just a thought). Also I would consider looking to see if she has wry neck (if she can't bend her neck): https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/wry-neck-causes-treatment-and-prevention . I hope she gets better soon!

3. sdaikus

Mar 20, 2016
    Thank you @Chicken Girl1 I felt for an egg and I don't feel anything, she has been like this for so long it makes me think its definitely something else. She can move her neck to scratch at feathers and wipe the yogurt off her face so I don't think there is an issue. I ready they will peck at the air so other birds don't know they are sick.. I think that's what she is doing.

I feel like she should be more lethargic for a hen that hasn't eating in 4 days!! so im stunned and confused by her. When I cleaned her vent there was a huge poop there (idk if that matters) but it looked normal. Now her poops are either water or emerald green

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you take her to a vet?

-Kathy

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  6. sdaikus

Mar 20, 2016
    @casportpony no, there are no vets near me that deal with chickens

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  8. sdaikus

Mar 20, 2016
    [​IMG]

9. sdaikus

Mar 20, 2016
    Thank you for that list.. I've googled it before and found no one!

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Looks like an infection, so if you can afford it, I'd get her to a vet ASAP.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by