any time now right?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by syble, Jan 30, 2012.

1. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    What time of year will my bobs start to lay, they are in a lit barn, hasn't frozen yet, and on about 12 or so hours of daylight a day, no eggs so far, but the turkeys are laying, is there something else that needs to happen to trigger them?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Bobs need to be about 6 months old, give or take a few weeks, before they begin to lay. They are late in maturing. Next they need about 14+ hours of day light to kick the laying cycle into gear. They also need the temps to be somewhat warm. (you have to play with this one to see at what temp they start to lay. Each area of the country and Bobs are different. Mine get stimulated with night time temps above 40 and daytime temps of 60.) Under normal conditions with no added light or heat, Bobs begin laying sometime in April and quit laying late September, early October. Good luck with your Bobs!

3. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    thanks for the quick response, there are 2 strains but both should be well over 6 months now, they both seam colored up as well. the lighting should be close, but our temps aren't there yet.
    I guess I'll just be patient or attempt it at least lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by