Any time now

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mochicken, Oct 12, 2011.

1. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    About 2 weeks ago I found one of my barred rock pullets under my sons slide sitting on about a dozen eggs in different sizes and colors. I am not sure which chicken laid them all but I locked her in the coop when I found her and she laid a small pullet egg in there so I am thinking some of them were not hers. The thing is, every night I make sure all of my chickens are locked up so she wasnt really broody because she would gladly leave the eggs to eat and run around with her barred rock and buff O friends all day, yet she is STILL not laying in the egg boxes or anywhere else in the run or coop.

I have a mixed flock of pullets, RIR, BSL, Barred rock, and buffs, so they are all going to be laying brown eggs so its hard to nail down the culprit lol. The barred rocks and buffs are mid April babies, and the RIR and BSL pullets are May 3rd-5th babies

The day all this happened I started leaving them in their run instead of letting them free range like I was, they used to run around the yard all day. I feel bad about locking them in the run but its 10' x 40' so they have plenty of space, just cant go bug hunting like they all love and they cant await treats on my porch ALLLLLLL day lol.

My nest boxes have been getting kicked up alot, they kick the bedding out in the coop and there are a ton of different colored belly feathers in there but still no eggs. Do you think I am doing the right thing by keeping them contained in the run and coop until they establish a good laying pattern?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, keep them locked up so they establish where to lay their eggs.

3. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Day before yesterday I got two eggs, yesterday 2 eggs, today only one but its a start :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by