Any tips for raising a blind hen?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by natersmum, Mar 31, 2009.

1. natersmum

natersmum New Egg

Jan 8, 2008
    Suring, WI
    Hello all! I recently acquired a very sweet hen that is blind. I'm wondering if anyone has any input or tips as to what will help her feel most comfortable around our coop and run. She is eating and drinking well. Appears to content, but does not venture out of the coop much. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks. - Rebecca [​IMG]

2. raised_on_chickens

raised_on_chickens New Egg

Mar 31, 2009
    Routine is the most important thing for any blind animal. Food/water/in&out of coop in the same place at the same time in the same way.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have a partially blind hen. She free ranges with the flock. I check a couple of times a day to make sure she doesn't wander too far from the flock and the protection of the rooster. If she does get too far from them she's learned to make her way back to the coop. My lowest ranking hen, Lilith, has become her seeing eye chicken so to speak. If I find Lil' Bit off away from the flock somewhere, she usually always has Lilith with her.
    Keep an eye on the weight of your hen. Their sight impairment means it takes longer for them to eat and sometimes the others won't give them that time.
    I also put Lil' Bit on a roost every night, right next to the rooster. She's learned to wait for me at the coop door. Since Lil' Bit is only partially blind she's learned to make her way to the nest box by herself. You might want to offer your hen a nest box at ground level.
    Good luck with your hen. Their impairment seems to make them extra special. [​IMG]

4. funkychickenowner

funkychickenowner Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2008
    Sussex County NJ
    She will be Ok we had a blind dog years ago and If I did not tell you you would not even know. Just dont move the furniture!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by