Any Tips for Silver Lakenvelders?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cejunes, Jul 24, 2010.

1. cejunes

cejunes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Post Falls, ID
    I have had a total of 4 chicks (2 in the early spring and 2 in June). I bought them locally but I think they were ordered from a hatchery. I love these birds, they are beautiful but I am having a hard time keeping them alive. I have not lost any of my other birds (about 23 in total), but I lost the first two at a week old and the third one at 6 weeks old. I now have one left who is now about 7 weeks old. Does anyone know if these are just birds that are not hearty or do they need some kind of special care. I have them separated from the older birds along with 2 of my other little ones. The temperature is very well moderated. I have been feeding them chick starter, making sure water is fresh and don't know why this is happening. Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  2. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    well sounds like your doing everything right. Are you making sure they have enough heat? If they are not atleast most of the way feathered, they still need heat. It may be that they just didnt come from a very good place and they are just not healthy.. I hope it all gets better [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by