Any Tips for Taming new Ringneck dove chick's?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by FrostyWind, Apr 9, 2017.

1. FrostyWind

FrostyWind Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2016
    Ya so, They are suppose to hatch somewhere later down This week, probably around Thursday 13th or Saturday 15th of this Month.
    But I need to know this: Since my Ringneck dove pair aren't accustom to me or anyone else, how would I be able to Tame them and especially of course The New chicks that are suppose to hatch? I know I'm not suppose to handle them when they are still new to this world and probably suppose to just wait a Month or so to be able to touch them, But how can I tame them if their parents aren't tame to me? They still panic when I'm changing the feed and water the paper for their cage, So what Do I do, I definitely want them to be tame so i can take them out of the cage and let them fly around.

Also How do I get my doves accustom to a certain whistle, They don't take food from my hand probably unless I starve them xD but there must be another way even if they aren't soo tame yet?

2. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  3. FrostyWind

Jun 12, 2016
    People always told me that I should have an unlimited supply of food for them and to not havew a certain time to feed them...Thanks for telling me the right thing...
    At what age would be a good time to handle and pickup squabs, and let them get use to me, Also would the parents get mad or annoyed by me and stop feeding the chicks because of me? This info is really helping alot. Before I was told that feeding doves at a certain was wrong, It was really affective because they would fly on to my hand when I whistled... I don't know why I listened to them people, it was a stupid mistake... Thanks for telling me

4. Hokum Coco

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  5. FrostyWind

Jun 12, 2016
    Thanks for the Very helpful Information, I do have like 1 or 2 questions to ask but I guess hopefully someone can shed some light on it, Here goes:

So my male Ringneck Dove always walks about the cage frantically as though he is trying to to find a way to escape the cage even though he has eggs and wife to take care and anytime I let him out the cage he just stays still and walks sometimes, and I've noticed that he has been expelling a long lump of poo and also the female sometimes Vomits?<<<I don'y why? Their feed are always in a bowl and they sometimes always eat from it and sometimes eat the food on the ground of their cage where some of their feed lands on their feces? is That why she vomits and is that why The male releases such a long lump of poo? btw the lump of poo is like as long as one one of the little slashes on a human carpal? So I don't know if both of them are sick and might die soon (Hopefully not)....And I can't even carry them to a vet because they are too expensive just for a check up...

6. Hokum Coco

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by