Any tips on befriending Cockerel and dog?

NNations

Songster
May 1, 2018
Fredericksburg, Texas
Hey y’all, so my 17 week old Polish Cockerel, Chocolate, isn’t sure about our Shitzu, Bella. Bella is very good with the chickens because we made sure she saw them from day 1 as chicks and doesn’t even pay attention to them now when she is out. Chocolate is coming into his hormones and isn’t quite sure if Bella is a threat or not. He actually tried to jump on her from behind a few times. Chocolate doesn’t have any spurs but I would hate for Bella to get an eye scratched. Is there a way I can show Chocolate that Bella is a friend or will time do that? All interactions are supervised because Bella does not go out of her area unless a person is with her and our cockerels free range every other day because they alternate with the girls for now.

This was then when Chocolate was younger, he has always been curious of Bella.
AC5CDEF8-467F-469E-B510-C3060472BAD8.jpeg

Here is Chocolate now, much bigger as you can see.
3853A8B1-512A-413B-990B-1E861BCECD6C.jpeg

I do have an understanding of cockerels and their personalities which is why I’m not sure how to go about this other than to just make sure they keep seeing each other and maybe over time Chocolate will figure it out once he can think past his hormones. As you can see, Chocolate is not an aggressive cockerel...so far anyway. He falls asleep in our arms easily in the evenings.
85677A90-2B14-4A33-9193-DED0C979EF8D.jpeg

So, I thought I’d see if any of y’all had any tips for me because everything I’ve read so far has to do with training the dog...not the chicken. Thanks guys!!

Hmmm... I don't have an answer to this one! I do know, that I bred polish for awhile, and EVERY SINGLE ROO eventually became aggressive.

I am not sure either. But my dog told my roo that she is not one of his ladies with the growl snap at air thing dogs do. They are fine together. I think it will depend on both of them feeling un threatened by the other.

I think understanding behaviors warning signs and needs of both animals is a great start to your journey:thumbsup
Good Luck

I am not sure either. But my dog told my roo that she is not one of his ladies with the growl snap at air thing dogs do. They are fine together. I think it will depend on both of them feeling un threatened by the other.

I think understanding behaviors warning signs and needs of both animals is a great start to your journey:thumbsup
Good Luck
Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom