Any tips on hatching shipped eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BackyardMix, May 7, 2011.

1. BackyardMix

BackyardMix Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    Hi, I ordered shipped eggs and they're coming on Monday. Does anybody have any tips on improving the hatch rate? Thanks!

P.S.- I'm brand new to this, so there's no need to skip the basics. [​IMG]

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Last year I started unplugging the turner for the first 2-3 days of incubation to give the eggs extra time to rest in case they have a loose air sac, etc. Seems to work.

3. BackyardMix

BackyardMix Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    Quote:Thanks! I'm not using a turner though. Should I just not turn them the first two days then? (Sorry about my lack of knowledge on this topic.)

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Thanks! I'm not using a turner though. Should I just not turn them the first two days then? (Sorry about my lack of knowledge on this topic.)

That's what I do. No turning for the first 2-3 days.

If the eggs are cold let them come to room temp, then put them in. If I get eggs and they are warm right out of the box, I put them straight into the incubator.

5. chickenfeverforever

chickenfeverforever Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    My tip wuuld be to cross your fingers and hope that they arrive not scrambled or with ruptured air cells. After that, I just let mine rest at room temp fat end up for at least 8 hours.

6. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    get y our incubator up and running at least a day ahead of when you will need it.. after the eggs are in it is no time to start to fiddle with temperatures..

let the eggs rest a day after you get them..

get your temp to 99.5F humidity at 35% to 40%

and don't expect more than 50% hatch..

7. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:X2

8. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    You may try asking the person you got the eggs from how they hatch theirs because some breeds hatch better if done a certain way, and humidity and temps. very so much from state to state.

9. RachaelS

RachaelS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Another tipis to put them in an egg cartoon pointy side down while in the bator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by