Any Tips on Raising Broilers

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by CoopedChik, Jun 16, 2011.

1. CoopedChik

CoopedChik Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Louisville Kentucky
    I know how to butcher a chicken so I don't need in tips with that. It's just the raising part. My family and I are selling the old farm and buying a new one (the land around us has gotten to developed and is unsafe for our animals [​IMG] ) Any way we agreed that we would be more self sufficient like we used to when my grandfather was around so we want to go back to eating our own home grown meat. I have never raised broilers before I have two who I got to help get me started but I hear they have to be kept separate and every pin I see online for them is short and squatty and the birds look pathetic, I mean I know they are just raised to be eaten but that doesn't mean their life has to be short "AND" ikky. So if you have any tips please let me know.[​IMG]

2. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Hey Cooped. Welcome to BYC. [​IMG] Congrats on getting back into meaties.

Have you seen the sticky at the top of this page? It should get you in the right direction. Reading through all of those posts really helped me narrow my questions! The folks here are knowledgable and friendly. I appreciate all of their advice and I know you will too!

3. codymax2

codymax2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Liverpool, NY
    You don't necissarliy have to do CX, Freedom rangers grow nice and they aren't so ugly and pitiful [​IMG] CX just freak me out hahah!

4. CoopedChik

May 24, 2011
    Louisville Kentucky
    but I already know how do all that was listed I was talking about raising them, like what housing is best and special feed, vitamins (what not).

Also thank you for that nice welcome [​IMG]

5. CoopedChik

May 24, 2011
    Louisville Kentucky
    Quote:U kno I though that too but I'm worried about predators out at the new farm its ALL LAND my only nieghbors are 12 acres of crops and 5 acres of horses. But I think thats the thing it freaks me out a little too...

6. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Quote:Yup, that's all there in that sticky. Check out this post from there. Bigred talks about everything soup to nuts - chicken soup, that is!

7. CoopedChik

May 24, 2011
    Louisville Kentucky
    Quote:Yup, that's all there in that sticky. Check out this post from there. Bigred talks about everything soup to nuts - chicken soup, that is!

Oh YEAH! thank you!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by