Any tips on sexing?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by ma2babygurl13, May 21, 2010.

1. ma2babygurl13

ma2babygurl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Fairborn OH
    I have 15 eastern wild turkey poults born on tuesday 5-18 any tips on early sexing?

2. byoung14ever

byoung14ever Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Brookston In
    Throw a tube of lipstick in and the ones that use it are girls!! Sorry could not resist!!

3. turkaholic

turkaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    Maryland
    Quote:At this stage, it's tough. By five or six weeks, you will begin to see size differences between the poults. Also, some will have larger snoods beginning to develop and the boys will have noticably larger feet (not kidding!). Not scientific and prone to error, but I can determine who's who at least 80% of the time.

4. pdpatch

pdpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    At that age vent sexing is about all you can do, I have tried it but never really worried about it until they got older to start showing male/female characteristics.
    at 6 weeks they will show some male female characteristics but it's still difficult. at around 15 weeks it gets easier.

Males have a bump females don't, no i can't describe the bump more then that.

Tom

5. Paulo515

Paulo515 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2009
    I have three whites that hatched about ten days ago, two of them are already doing the posturing stuff where they puff up and drag their wings on the ground. It's so funny seeing these little guys try to be all big and bad.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by