Any tips on showing Standard Blue Cochins?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NewMommy123, Aug 9, 2011.

1. NewMommy123

NewMommy123 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    Grapeview,WA
    Hi! I am 13 years old and I am thinking about showing my Standard Blue Cochin pullet next year and I was wondering if anyone had any tips they could give me and if anyone knew the things that could get her disqualified so that I make sure she doesn't have any. I have already made sure that she doesn't have Vulture hocks. If there is anyone who could give me any tips or advice I would be most grateful. [​IMG]

2. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:With the large cochin you will want to bath and dry at least 4-5 days prior to showing, the first day will be ubdersown drying and teh second and third day to regain thier fluffy appearance. keep her isolated and in heavy pine shavings after he bath and prior to the show, clean them regularly a minimum of morning and evening to remove all little to keep her clean.
    Seperate her from any males at least 2 months prior to keep her feathers in good condition and allow some that may be worn to grow back, pluck broken feathers at this time.

Hope this helps..

3. NewMommy123

Aug 8, 2010
    Grapeview,WA
    Quote:With the large cochin you will want to bath and dry at least 4-5 days prior to showing, the first day will be ubdersown drying and teh second and third day to regain thier fluffy appearance. keep her isolated and in heavy pine shavings after he bath and prior to the show, clean them regularly a minimum of morning and evening to remove all little to keep her clean.
    Seperate her from any males at least 2 months prior to keep her feathers in good condition and allow some that may be worn to grow back, pluck broken feathers at this time.

Hope this helps..

This does help, thanks! [​IMG] How can I identify any broken feathers?

4. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    The fetaher tips will be missing or jagged where they have been broken.

5. NewMommy123

Aug 8, 2010
    Grapeview,WA
    Quote:Thanks! I really appreciate it! Can you reccomend a good shampoo to use? Right now I am using Johnson's Baby Shampoo (unscented). Thanks! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by