any tips please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sad sally, Dec 22, 2013.

1. sad sally

sad sally Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2013
    hello I have a pet chicken she was injured by a bear, paralysed her one leg..well her toes, anywasy I brought her into the house and she healed up great she is still in the house, stays in her bed until she wants out goes pecks at the door and the same when she want back in, but now she all of a sudden stopped eating, she is hot, open mouth breathing, and yellow watery poop. and one have any tips on what to give her to eat or what may be going on thank you so much...:(

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. She may have something else going on, or it could be due to an internal injury. Can you be more specific about when the attack happened and how old she is? How hot is it in your house? Bright yellow stools can be a sign of E.Coli or blackhead disease. Yellow-brown diarrhea could be coccidiosis or something else. If she is hot and drinking a lot more water, she may have diarrhea because of the extra fluids. We love to see pictures of poop, so if you can post one it may help.

3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Could be anything,worms,respiratory infection,egg bound,peritonitis,crop issues. Has she been eating/drinking? Have you checked her for being egg bound? How long has she been like this and how long since the attack from bear,any sign of infection in wounds?

4. The Yakima Kid

The Yakima Kid Cirque des Poulets

Maybe an infection? Protozoa? Coccidia?

5. sad sally

Dec 22, 2013
    thank you so much, the injurie happened October , it is a cut right by her spine and she always holds her one leg up all the time, ever since, she has been in great shape eating like no problem , drinking, going out side running around with me, happy bird, but for the past week she has been going down hill... (we changed her food) like just another supplier and I am wondering if it was this food?? because she was fine until this food.. started drinking ALOT of water after changing the food.. you could feel a huge lump in her neck ( thinking the food) because it would go away ) but it doesn't make sense why she wont walk??? she is very unstable??? oh and she is ..we got her in june as a 12 week old chick.
    She isn't drinking much ..her poop is neon yellow liquid? I will post a picture tomorrow, its night time and her bedding as clean...oh and it is 20 degrees in here, but she has been in here and ok with the heat since she came in here back in October, now I do have her near the door, could she maybe have gotten a cold from the draft? is cold out side..she doesn't get much exercise she isn't liking the snow, hehe and not eating dirt ? would that do anything?? she does have a small bowl of oyster shells . thank you so much for replying.

6. sad sally

Dec 22, 2013
    I am sorry I have no idea how to check for egg bound? the attack was in October, I made sure she was healed all up and clean , shes been healed for a while now.

7. sad sally

Dec 22, 2013
    and no not eating or drinking now for the past week.. she will have some things but not much, her favorite is raisons and she wont even have them??? is it ok to boil an egg and give it to her?

8. Cheryl1948

Cheryl1948 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    Randleman, NC
    If she is not getting outside you may need to give her "grit" to help her "chew". The oyster shell does not help with this. She may be slowly choking.

9. sad sally

Dec 22, 2013
    omy gosh!! are you serious???? :( :( :( :( oh I feel so bad, no she does not, I got told that the shells would do that?? oh noo :( she does not go out side often there is way to much snow she doesn't like it, when I go feed the horses I bring her with me and put her in the hay while I feed and do my thing.. but no dirt.

10. sad sally

Dec 22, 2013
    if ti is E.Coli how would she have gotten that? and is it curable?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by