Any tips to boiling eggs

Boil water, carefully add eggs...slow rolling boil...exactly 15 minutes. No cover. Rinse in cold water. I add ice. To peel knock bottom and top, then roll sideways.

I have heard it is best to wait 3 to 4 days before boiling them. They stick to the shells much worse when they are very fresh. I don't speak from personal experience yet because we are only just getting our first eggs, but I have learned from more seasoned owners.

Good luck.

I think the key is bringing the water to a boil first. I lower them gently with a slotted spoon, when the boil resumes I cover them, reduce heat to simmer, cook x 15 minutes then plunge them into cold water (also a key step), break the shell then peel when cool enough to handle. It doesn't matter how old the eggs are. I made plenty of egg salad when I wanted deviled eggs before I learned this.

You can entertain yourself all day reading the how to boil and peel eggs on this site but it is something we need to know because our nice fresh eggs sure don't peel like the "antique" store variety.

Or skip boiling all together. Get yourself a veggie steaming basket and steam your eggs for about 12 mins, give or take depending on how done you like them. Cool in a bowl of iec water. I have found this to be the best way hands down. You also do not need to wait for your fresh eggs to age
smile.png
Have fun!

Quote:
What she said....but I leave my eggs to sit in the ice water for 15 minutes....

I've boiled eggs that were just laid that day using this method and they roll right out of the shell.

If you are hard boiling eggs, I suggest you poke a hole in the big end of the egg. This keeps them from bursting in the boiling water. Be sure and put plenty of salt in the water. Don't stint on the salt, it causes the membrane to separate from the shell.

Run cold water over them as soon as you take them off of the stove.

Then poke a hole in the small end of the egg and blow through it. The air pressure serves to separate the membrane from the shell. I first saw this done in an area of the world rampant with tuberculosis. I didn't think it was a very sanitary thing to do. But if you are just making eggs for yourself, I guess it is alright.

When poking holes in eggs, I have found out that a pin is not the best thing to use. I use a lancet from my diabetes supply. It works every time and doesn't bend like a pen does.

Good luck,

Rufus

Quote:
What she said....but I leave my eggs to sit in the ice water for 15 minutes....

I've boiled eggs that were just laid that day using this method and they roll right out of the shell.

x2. No need for a steamer for me. This method works perfect!

There was a big long thread on this a while back, Ill never be able to find it now. As posted above, simply bring water to a boil, lower eggs into water, boil for 15 mins, take them out of hot water and cool them down quickly. They should peel perfectly. Ive taken them from nest to boiling water, and it works great.

No need to add salt, vinegar, poke the eggs, or do anything else.

Last edited:
Or skip boiling all together. Get yourself a veggie steaming basket and steam your eggs for about 12 mins, give or take depending on how done you like them. Cool in a bowl of iec water. I have found this to be the best way hands down. You also do not need to wait for your fresh eggs to age
smile.png
Have fun!

X2 I love this method the best. I use a counter top steamer. For the time it takes to boil water, you can have them done in the steamer. They barely ever crack in the steamer as well. I store my eggs in the order they were laid, and I use the oldest eggs first. Bantam eggs I steam for 11 minutes, then let them sit in the steamer fo a few more minutes. For large to jumbo, about 15 minutes, doing the same.

Back
Top Bottom