Any tips?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by fairytalefarmer, Mar 14, 2013.

1. fairytalefarmer

fairytalefarmer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2013
    Howdy howdy! I ordered my chicks and they are gonna be here on May 31st! This is my first time and i am getting 20 of them! This seems great for chicken how-to resources plus all the know how of experienced chicekn owners. any tips on what some good things to do with, for, and before chickens??? Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  2. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Hey there and congratulations! You should make sure you have all of your chick raising equipment. Feed,brooder,brooder light bulbs(always have extras-they break in the most inconvenient times) and if your raising them indoors make sure you have a nice pair of earplugs! They sure can be loud![​IMG]

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

1 person likes this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. fairytalefarmer

Mar 14, 2013
    Thanks! My chicks are gonna be out in my barn that was recently used for goats, sheep guinea pigs, a bunnie and cats, but not all at the same time. It's about 8x8 insualted and has heat to it. Wow ever would have thought about extra bulbs!

6. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    No problem. Fell free to throw any more questions out there. That's what were all here for!

7. fairytalefarmer

Mar 14, 2013
    Hey! Wow thanks for all the links! That great!

8. fairytalefarmer

Mar 14, 2013
    So, I'm going to be naming the, because they are my "Layin' LAdies" [​IMG] and I name all my pets. I have 12 names right now but I need 8 more, and I like "sophisticate" chicken names, preferably with a play on words with anything having to do with chickens EXCEpt food haha

9. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    I can only come up with two names right now but I will continue to think about it. They are Ophelia and Henrietta.

10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, FTF, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined us! Good thing to do before: read up on the links below. Good luck and have fun!!

The Learning Center - gives you all the ins and outs of poultry care and upkeep:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/

The Coops thread to help you choose a design you like:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coop_Designs

The Baby Chicks thread for when they arrive...it's a Q & A but reading the old thread yields tons of great info:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/11/raising-baby-chicks

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by