Any tricks for algae in the waterer?

Quote:
Can one use vinegar in galvanized waterers? I heard that vinegar should only be used in plastic waterers.
Would really like to know. It would be so much easier if I could.

Quote:
Can one use vinegar in galvanized waterers? I heard that vinegar should only be used in plastic waterers.

plastic only. the acid corrodes the protective coating on the galvanized waterers and they will rust.

Quote:

plastic only. the acid corrodes the protective coating on the galvanized waterers and they will rust.

Thank you miss_jayne. That is what I heard. Just making sure.

Yeah, plastic only. I think most folks use about 1 tbsp/gallon of water. I do it like I'm cooking-- visually and intuitively-- basically a swig per waterer. If the water looks brown or smells strongly, you've put too much.
ETA: If you don't have many birds, unfiltered is the best to use. Spectrum Naturals makes a very nice ACV. It makes a great vinaigrette. Unfortunately, it's too expensive with so many animals. I still use it in the kitchen though.

Last edited:
Put some barley straw in a burlap or cheesecloth sack. Put it in the water and it stops algae growth. We use it in our horse waterers. If you don't have access to barley, Tractor Supply sells little premade bags of it for water tanks. You won't need the whole bag for such a small waterer. You gan open it up and make smaller bags with the contents.

Also, 3 gallons is small enough that you should be able to clean it out often and have no algae regardless of what you put in it.

Back
Top Bottom