Any tricks for sexing baby chicks for a 1st timer?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by IrishBoy, Sep 8, 2009.

1. IrishBoy

IrishBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    i know at the early stage that it will never be 100 % but just curious as to some of the methods you all use, oh and when abouts will their be changes between males and females ?

2. IrishBoy

IrishBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    anyone?

3. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    1. [​IMG] from South Florida!!
    2. in my experience girls get their tails first (see the first picture the one without a tail coming in turned out to be a roo)
    3. when the chicks start getting their combs the roos comb will be redder the the pullets
    4.(this works 40% of the time) boys have pointed feathers and girls get round feather
    5. (this one works 30% of the time) the rooster will be the first one to come get the food and will be the most affectionate
    6. girls feather out faster

[​IMG]

4. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    My daughter has been hatching chickens for science this school year so we have been doing some strange but fun things including candling daily and trying out most of the "sexing" methods old wives tales and more.
    Feather sexing I have found to be quite accurate with the heavy breeds for the first 3 days..I have found between 24-48 hours I have been seldom wrong.It's not accurate though for your lighter or mixed breeds where you don't know what's there...but still fun to do
    The pullets do tend to feather out faster
    Combs tend to grow faster on the little roo's but can be misleading with the larger combed pullets until your used to seeing them
    One I found interesting and does have some merit...take a hat or something like it overhead of the chicks and wave it around to startle them some...roos will stretch up towards it pullets will squat.Amazingly this has worked to a much higher percentage than I would have thought.
    The easiest way is to wait [​IMG] Some breeds you can tell within a couple of weeks...others are much harder to tell(darn those peacombs) I can pick my little leghorn roosters out after just one week
    Still though the hatcheries only guarantee you 90% on all pullets because it's not that easy to tell and you can be wrong a lot [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by