Any tricks to figuring out who is laying what egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by viktoriacl, Feb 6, 2011.

1. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Any neat and easy tricks to see who is laying what colored egg? I was thinking of putting red lipstick on one of there butts to see if it would mark the egg! Oh wait. they will peck her butt! That wont work! Any other ideas???

2. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    When I wanted to know I would go out every hour and see if anyone was laying. I would take out that egg and wait for another one. When I ended up with alot more chickens I separated some 2 at a time into another pen until they laid their egg to find out who was the olive egger! Found her my second try. If you used black lipstick or dark brown it might work but don't use red! Are you goth ? lol

3. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    You can put food coloring in the vent. Use a different color for each one.

4. viktoriacl

Jun 23, 2010
    My 13 yo daughter does have black lipstick! I was thinking food coloring would dry before the egg was laid? No?

5. HoglundH

HoglundH Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:just dont put the lipstick back in her purse.

she may not appreciate it.

6. viktoriacl

Jun 23, 2010
    Ok. I wont. Although,being a teenage girl,some days I may be tempted! Lol

7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:Does this really work ?? I can see the idea but something sounds amiss and kind of whacky about it. I also need a reliable way to ID egg's from some breeders I am working with.

Ok so with the lipstick idea, how does that work ??. Do you put the lipstick on then kiss the chickens egg laying area to transfer the color ??. [​IMG]

AL

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  8. viktoriacl

Jun 23, 2010
    [Ok so with the lipstick idea, how does that work ??. Do you put the lipstick on then kiss the chickens egg laying area to transfer the color ??. [​IMG]

I guess you could do it that way if you wanted to! Lol

9. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    The lipstick sounds like a good idea. If you have more than one color that you don't mind sacrificing to the chicken's rear, the quicker you can find out! [​IMG] Just make sure it isn't one that you ever want to use again! [​IMG]

10. AnnainMD

AnnainMD Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
    Food coloring works. Just make sure you put the dropper portion within the vent and squeeze a bit. Just don't hold it over the vent and let it drop down, I had better success with the dropper inside. The vent pulses and that helps to draw the color in. For most, you get a tiny speck of color somewhere on the egg. The red color had the best result and it was the one I put the dropper into the vent. It colored her eggs for a month, most of the others were colored for a few days.

Make sure to label the food coloring box "chickens" or something like that otherwise it would be a mistake you would never forget.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by