1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any Turkey people?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 13ChickenGirl, May 21, 2017.

1. 13ChickenGirl

13ChickenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2017
    We recently got 4 IMG_4167.JPG IMG_4167.JPG IMG_4167.JPG IMG_4173.JPG IMG_4176.JPG turkey chicks. We were hoping for at least one girl and one boy. Does anyone have any sexing tricks for turkeys? We were told if you flip them on their backs the toms stick out a leg and the hens tuck them in. If this is accurate then we have 4 toms. PLEASE tell me this isn't true!!!:fl

2. silky ma

silky ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Ive read recently where a gal got some from a store and said to view them from the top and those with square heads were toms, triangle heada hens.
    As adults toms are squarer and broader then a hen where a hens head is narrower and longer.

Others say to watch the juveniles that are feathered out. The males will loose the peach fuzz earlier.

3. 13ChickenGirl

13ChickenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2017
    ok thanks! They are older now than in the pics. I will take pictures of them later today and post them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by