Any TV repair folks here???? I need to troubleshoot my tv!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Guitartists, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Had a nasty storm and a surge must have messed up the tv... was fine for about a day... then the color went. If you unplug it and leave it unplugged for a while and then plug it back in, you get color for a few seconds..... had been running in B&W for a few days... now the picture comes and goes... sometimes it works (B&W) sometimes it doesn't (blue screen) Funny thing is that the menus are in colored fonts and they come in just fine [​IMG] Picture is a wee bit jumpy too. Had it plugged into a surge protector [​IMG]

Can anybody help me? Is this something I can repair???

By the way, yes, I know this is a chicken forum... and I DID post this at a repair site... but it has been almost a week and no one there is answering my post [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  2. okiemommy

okiemommy Mother of 5, Prisoner to None

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    Who is the manufacturer and what is the type of tv?

3. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    JVC D-series 32? inch not flat screen or anything.... regular old tv

4. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    Before the Navy, I fixed TVs as a hobby.
    assuming the sound quality is OK....
    (Without getting too technical...)
    Sounds like the first or second IF stage got "zapped" by the storm. That's the section that strips the "color burst" signal from the composite TV signal from cable.
    Unfortunately, It will be cheaper in the long run just to buy a new TV.
    99% of everything in a TV now a days is modular or on one circuit board. Sometimes the whole receiver section is on ONE MICROCHIP!! the rest is the amplifier for audio and the high voltage circuits that make the TV screen work. When the repairman "Fixes" your TV he just orders a new board from the company, plugs it in, and charges you $250.00

Just remember, next time there's a storm, disconnect it from the cable/antenna as well as unplug it from the wall.
    If you have a surge supressor that has the tv, vcr, dvd, and radio plugged into it, un plug THAT from the wall. Don't just turn it off, it's not enough.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  5. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

You're going to need to go digital anyway whether with a new TV or a converter box (maybe you have cable or satellite and it is already taken care of).

My impression, not just from the above post, is that with all the electronics, it is not worth it to fix it. More example of our throw away society and filling up the land fills.

6. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:Sorry , I have no idea . I would of calle d arepair shop or dealer by now . 5 things that drive me crazy when they dont work ,

1. my truck ,
    2. TV
    3. computer
    4. Phone
    5. A/C

7. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    It's not THAT old [​IMG] About 5 years. It was a super nice tv with a super nice image....well, until now [​IMG]

8. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    And no money for a repairman [​IMG] No money for a new tv [​IMG] Was hoping it was something I could maybe pick up a part for, do a little soldering [​IMG]

9. ruby

ruby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Gold Hill, Alabama
    I have lost more electronics to lighting than anything else. Cut your losses. [​IMG] sorry I have a electronic degree and the above poster was right the charge you for their time (which is fair) and plug in a new part. And my surge protectors have a guarantee up to 10,000.00 and they have cable connectors too

10. ruby

ruby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Gold Hill, Alabama
    you can figure it out.... bet you can find a schematic on line
    try the manufacture or google schematics,tv

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by