Any vets out there? Dog is sick & can't walk.. :(

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Troubadour05, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Troubadour05

Troubadour05 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2014
    Greenfield, NH
    We have 2 dogs, a Staffy x Lab female and a "mutt" male, not sure what he is but we guess boxer mixed with some kind of hound. He is about 3 years old now and always a bundle of crazy, happy energy. Unfortunately he is cursed with this weird issue that keeps popping up.. This will have been the 5th time it has happened.
    This is the VERY predictable timeline of his "illness".
    Day before: No issue whatsoever, no hints that it may be coming. He eats and drinks like normal, no diarrhea or vomiting.
    Day 1 (Where we are today): Noticeably less excited, he is usually very very hyper, and is not putting weight on 1 hind leg. Won't even put it down to go to the bathroom. He will play lightly with our other dog outside, but comes inside and lays down right away. Right now he is laying down next to me whining and trembling, breaking my heart. Did not eat breakfast, most likely will not eat dinner. DOES have a fever usually, but I have not taken his temp today, and our vets office is not open.
    Day 2: Same thing, but will limp on both hind legs, will sit down unless I lift his hind end and bring him outside, will stand reluctantly to go to the bathroom. Won't eat unless there is rice, boiled chicken, cooked hamburger, or something yummy in the food, still feverish and trembling when laying down.
    Day 3: Same thing, but will start limping on a front leg now
    Day 4: Will not walk at all, we have to carry him outside to go to the bathroom, which he will stand to go, but then lays down. Will only eat the yummy stuff, but still drinking.

Because we know how this progresses we will take him to the vets on day 1 or 2 now, and he will be given antibiotics starting on either day 2 or 3 and by day 5 he is significantly, if not entirely, better. We always finish the entire 10 day prescription of antibiotics. Our vet did x-rays, and blood work but found nothing, and has no idea what is going on, and said if it happens again to take him to a neurologist.
    He was taking Keflex the first couple times, then the last time our vet prescribed Clindamycin, and Rimadyl for pain.
    Does anyone have any insight whatsoever as to what could be going on with our boy? We figured infection, particularly Lyme Disease, but why the re-occurrence if we are finishing his antibiotics every time? Our other dog has never had this issue and is roughly 6 months younger than him, and we have dogs visit often with no issue, so an environmental issue seems unlikely.
    We do not want to continue putting him on antibiotics. We are going to call around to find a dog neurologist tomorrow. I'm just at such a loss. :(

2. naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2011
    Going to a neurologist sounds like will be your best bet. Let us know what they say!

3. Troubadour05

Oct 13, 2014
    Greenfield, NH
    Will do!

4. Troubadour05

Oct 13, 2014
    Greenfield, NH
    My mistake, last time he was not on clindamycin, it was Ciprofloxacin. And that time, June of this year, they did a Lyme test that came back negative.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  5. happy-bird

happy-bird Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    I am sorry your dog (and you) are going through this. :( My first thought was Lyme disease, as well. I have read that false positive and false negative test results can occur with Lyme. It may be worth re-testing if the neurologist is stumped. I hope you find the answers you need.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    How long between episodes?

7. Troubadour05

Oct 13, 2014
    Greenfield, NH
    It's random, last time was June of this year and I think the time before that was March this year, our vet said he wanted to redo the Lyme test and this time it came back positive so he prescribed doxycycline

8. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I was going to suggest running a Lyme test again. Non-specific limb pain is usually a very good sign! Doxy is a good broad spectrum antibiotic that should take care of the issue!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by