Any way of "properly" overloading an egg turner?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by The Chickeneer, Mar 12, 2012.

1. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

My LG with the turner only holds up to 41 eggs. I was thinking of just taking the turner out so more eggs would fit, but opening the bator to turn them by hand might mess up with my tem/humidity. Or I could even forget to turn the eggs at all. So I was thinking.........would it be ok if I put eggs on top of the ones in the turner? Would they turn alright? Anybody ever done this, or have a better idea? I appreciate any tips thanks.[​IMG]

2. The Chickeneer

Oh, and does anybody know the aproximate number of eggs that fit in an LG without the turner? I don't want to have a bunch of eggs incubating and then not enough space on the wire mesh for lockdown.

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

About 60 normal eggs will fit on the wire. I have stacked an fit close to 100 in a LG but not a good idea

You can also put another 10 or so eggs on to of the ones in a turner if you make sure they are not where they will hit the thermostat or fan an get crushed. A fan is needed if you stack.

4. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    good question! i'm glad you asked it cuz i was thinking of putting some eggs on top of the ones in the turner too.

5. The Chickeneer

Do you have to have a fan?

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by