Any way to convince a 4 day old chick to eat? added a pic

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ilikethedesert, Jun 10, 2011.

1. ilikethedesert

ilikethedesert Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2009
    Easton, CT
    It was an assisted hatch, with a curved foot and splay leg. I taped its foot and legs which has enabled it to stay upright, but it doesn't want to or have the conginitive ability to eat. It will only drink if I I hold it up to the water bowl. Is there anything I can do?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  2. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    take your finger and tap where the food is repeatedly. It's a peel chick so it might take days, but it will get it.

3. ilikethedesert

Sep 23, 2009
    Easton, CT
    Thanks wren. I've tried that. It doesn't do it often, but every so often it will peck at something but seems to miss. I was tapping in a capful of food- it copied, but didn't actually get any food.

4. ilikethedesert

Sep 23, 2009
    Easton, CT
    How do I each the chick to open its beak when it pecks and to waddle over to the food/ water when it needs a drink or a bite?

5. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    You shouldnt have to teach a chick to either drink or eat. Its what they do naturally. If its not eating or drinking theres likely something wrong with it.

6. ilikethedesert

Sep 23, 2009
    Easton, CT
    Quote:There is most definitely something wrong with it, but if I can convince it to enjoy eating on it's own, I'm hoping it will gain the strength to pull through. It's been a long few days for this little one, (and me!!!) You can read about it here if you'd like:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=519506

7. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    try some boild egg, cut the white in strips so it looks like a worm, wiggle it in front of the chick. I had to do that with one that wouldn't eat. It finally started to eat that way, then I could get it to eat the yolk also and after a few days it was eating on its own. Now I can't even tell which one it was.

8. ilikethedesert

Sep 23, 2009
    Easton, CT
    Quote:Thank you for this! I tried scrambled egg last night and boiled egg yolk today. I was about to go to bed, but now I'm off to the kitchen to boil another egg!!!! Wish me and chicky luck!

9. JP101010

JP101010 Chillin' With My Peeps

my game plan would be get nutrition in the chick anyway possible even if you have to make a starter feed slurry and very slowy place a drop at a time on the corners of their mouth. Once the chicks been eating fro a couple of day you should see much improvement with "wanting to eat" . alot of times without nurtition the blood glucose levels drop causing the chick to not have an appetite. Also they usually sell a packet of yellow powder its called " vitamin and electrolyte mix" its for stressed chicks/ shipping chicks / Chicks that arent eating enough- its for chicks ages 1 day old and up. That will also prevent the Glucose levels from droppping too low.
    also without a constant 90-95 degree over head heat source put to one side of the brooder box , they wont thrive.
    Good Luck! Hope to see an update maybe a pic?[​IMG]

10. ilikethedesert

Sep 23, 2009
    Easton, CT
    Quote:Thank you. I've tried a slurry, eggs, gatorade, baby vitamins. I put food near the corners of its beak but it shakes it off. Is there a way to open its beak to get food it? The temp in the brooder is good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by