Any way to heat a coop in the winter via solar power

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mcmommy, Nov 7, 2011.

1. mcmommy

mcmommy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    We just finished our coop and have two Black Australorps. The coop is not near any electrical outlet and I am wondering if there are any solar options for keeping a bit more light and heat during the winter! Thanks for your help. Amy

2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2011
    Here you go!

http://www.mrsolar.com/page/MSOS/PROD/remote/RPS-170

Seems a bit expensive for chickens though! I would put in a skylight for daytime hours and not worry too much about them getting too cold in the winter. Just give them plenty of nice warm bedding!

3. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Chickens do very well without heat as long as the coop is ventilated. Using solar to generate electricity for heat is too expensive. Passive solar would be better if you feel you need heat and don't have electricity.

If you want lighting and don't want to use a flashlight then you could go with solar panels to generate electricity for lighting but it is still expensive.

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    How old are the kids?

Where do you live?

Is it colder than 10 you don't need heat if the box is solid with no drafts running through it. I should clarify that the high vents would still be open so the brooder can vent. If you birds are fully feathered and have been outside in the coop for the last few weeks they are ready for the entire winter. [​IMG]

5. darin367

darin367 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Shelton, Wa.
    no need for heat...... i've heard of people using those cheapy solar walkway lights....

6. mcmommy

mcmommy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    Thanks all ~ I guess to clarify ~ I had a volunteer help me build the coop (it is at a mission) since I am not a builder. We had opague roofing material but not enough so the builder built a more traditioanl roof over the hen house. The girls are about 6-7 months and had not started laying yet. I am worried that I have screwed this up but not having a sunlight of some sort. Really want the kids served by the mission to learn about the whole life cycle. I do have good ventiallation and draft protectin tho...

7. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    I too believe they don't need heat.That's all relative.If your up north and its in the single digiets or below -0 .They probably would apreciate it! If you really need heat consider Propane ,people use it in brooders a lot.Find a old kerosene lantern or 2(they still make them new) if its a small area it will do it.Just BEWARE if you never been around thoses the wick is the KEY (adjusted low flame to med.there great) if you get wick too high it will SMOKE like crazy.Hang (with wire in middle of area) a foot or so above floor.that way they can bump it and it will not turn over.Propane will work too .BEWARE of the FIRE HAZZard with all the above.When I was Kid we brooded all out chicks with kerosene lantern...cva34

8. oneofseven

oneofseven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Augusta, Ga
    The stores are always selling solar lights for lawns and driveways. Not too expensive either.

9. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Propane is a relatively inexpensive way to heat but it puts out a lot of water vapor. Ventilation becomes even more important when using propane.

You might find keeping drinking water unfrozen more important than keeping the henhouse heated.

Do you photos of your setup? Posting photos can give us a better idea of what you have and maybe make some suggestions.

10. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    South-facing window is the best passive solar option. Skylight may allow too much sun in the summer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by