any way to make your eggs bigger and laid more often?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jadie, Aug 1, 2013.

1. jadie

jadie Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2012
    I have 3 Rhode island reds who are about 21 weeks now and 3 Golden comets who are about 19 weeks. I have 2 nesting boxes each with 2 fake eggs in them one is painted black on the inside the other is not. they lay in both.
    I only get 1 egg a day (on very very rare occasion I get 2). I found an egg that was little and speckled and different than the other so I figured it was a golden and we should be getting at least 2 everyday (if the 4 are laying every other day) but I continued to only get one. and they are small (medium maybe)
    my dads friend says he has 6 speckled Sussex chickens and is getting at least 3 everyday even 6 on occasion and they are "extra large eggs" (he could be stretching the truth?) and they are about the same age.[​IMG]

I feed them Purina layena pellets, and they get little bowl of oyster shells and grit. they get fresh water about every other day (sometimes every 3) I try to let out in the yard at least twice a week to free range for a couple hours and I feed them fruit, meat worms, and some table scraps for treats.

am I doing something wrong? I thought these breeds were suppose to be good egg layers? im going to get 3-6 in the spring? is there a better breed I should get?
    also I heard painting the inside of coop yellow helps? is this true?
    ill do anything!![​IMG]
    thanks so much!

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

They've just started. They are very young and just getting themselves together. Patience. Patience.

3. jadie

jadie Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2012
    ahhh ok they did lay 2 yesterday and 2 today so hopefully things are getting better!
    I just want to make sure im doing everything right hah

also what breeds would you recommend? I live in NY so we have warm summers and harsh winters and id like a chicken that isn't very aggressive and a great egg layer
    thanks

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    You're doing fine. As PP said, it takes them a while to gear up to full production, both in size and frequency. congrats on their progress. If you want peak performance with eggs, you can't beat a leghorn. All I'm familiar with is the white ones, but I've seen pics of brown ones and a rose combed one. The traditional white leghorn has a huge straight comb which will be more prone to frost bite. Leghorns produce a large white egg, put tend to be more flighty. An other good choice for egg production is black sex link. They lay a large brown egg, and have a straight comb. I'm also in a very cold area and have chosen rose and pea combed birds due to them being less prone to frost bite. I also am hoping that by not choosing a bird with VERY high laying stats, that the birds I do have will lay for a longer period of time. My birds of choice are EE with a pea comb (they started laying at 16.5 weeks, and are 60 - 80% productive after their first month of laying! One of them occasionally lays a HUGE double yolker that barely lets the carton close. However, that's due to her egg conveyor belt having a glitch. IMO a smaller single yolked egg from a pullet is preferable.) and Dominique with a rose comb. (Unfortunately I can't give any laying stats as the hatchery sent me 3 cockrels. [​IMG]) But they are a delightful bird with good foraging skills and nice temperament. Doms are reported to be good winter layers. Go to Henderson's Chicken Breed Chart for a good reference to compare breeds and laying info.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    My Doms and EE have been very well tempered. You'll find that typically, the high production birds will be more aggressive. That being said, each bird has it's own personality, and you could end up with a gentle high production bird. Each flock will ALWAYS have a dominant bird that by human standards is aggressive, however, the dominant bird is only doing what the dominant bird was designed to do: Dominate everyone else!!

6. kada6305

kada6305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    we have 3 red sex links, 3 leghorns and 2 Speckecled Sussex 1 being a rooster) they just started laying about 9 days ago. I currently get 2 eggs day. Today I got 3. Give them time they need time to adjust a little, In a few weeks everything should be good :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by